What interesting videos did you watch today?

In summary, I thought I'd try a new experiment. I saw a few good videos today that I think might be of interest to the PF community.
DiracPool
I thought I'd try a new experiment. Post a few video's that you saw today that you think might be of interest to the PF community. I know we have here the "YouTube classics" thread and the new section with the science videos, but this is designed to be more specifically attuned to what videos you watched today and why you found those videos interesting. The idea is to give a desription as to why those particular videos were important to you that particular day and not just to post a list of videos. I'll start:

1) Because I broke my hand in a skateboard accident and I wanted to feel like my injury wasn't so bad, I watched a good movie today on Netflix called "Kilo two Bravo" about some wounded British soldiers in Afghanistan.

2) Accordingly, I also watched:

and the whole 5 part series of:

3) Also, I love this guy from numberphile so I watched his new video:

4) Finally, I put this video on went I went sleep last last night so I didn't see it but heard it. I like Jim Khalili:

I also watched about a dozen other good ones today but here's the ones that I remember. Share yours.

Likes 1oldman2 and ProfuselyQuarky
Physics news on Phys.org
@DiracPool Oh gosh, another Numberphile/singingbanana fan! Isn't James Grime great? Anyway . . .
I just watched this one video because Sephiroth Art is amazing and I wanted to figure out to create a metallic effect.

Likes 1oldman2 and DiracPool
ProfuselyQuarky said:
I just watched this one video because Sephiroth Art is amazing and I wanted to figure out to create a metallic effect.

That is interesting, I never knew it took so much detailed work to do that. See, I probably never would have watched that video if you didn't post it here :oldsmile:

Next time, though, I think he/she should have picked a longer song..it kicked out around 3 min :olduhh:

DiracPool said:
That is interesting, I never knew it took so much detailed work to do that. See, I probably never would have watched that video if you didn't post it here :oldsmile:
Good for you, a lot of speed paints are going to end up on this thread :smile:
DiracPool said:
Next time, though, I think he/she should have picked a longer song..it kicked out around 3 min :olduhh:
Alexei Grishin is good at digital art, not editing, unfortunately :DD

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Good for you, a lot of speed paints are going to end up on this thread

Cool. Just to add to everyone, post videos that you have actually watched in the last 24 hours. Avoid the temptation to post something from last week. That's what I think might make the thread interesting.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
So here's what I've watched today so far.

1) Dynel Lane got sentenced to 100 years in prison in the Michelle Wilson case today. Did you hear about this? I just heard about it today. Gruesome:

2) SpaceX is going to Mars in 2018

3) Got some help on my art of integration from my bro JMT

and...

4) Learned about Functions in Python from my wing-man Bucky

Plus a lot of other stuff I won't crowd the post with. I typically watch about 20-50 youtube videos a day

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Todaaaay I watched . . .

1) This one because I watch every Sixty Symbol video and it popped in my inbox (this was a nice one) :smile:

2) This one was good and reminded me of micromass!

3) How to draw jelly (from SA's "material" series)

4) More digital speed paints . . .

Likes DiracPool
1) I've really gotten into a cold war phase recently so I watched two full-length documentaries today. This was the best one:

2) I watched a few NASA VR videos on my google cardboard headset:

This one was great. It's hard to believe the atmosphere is poisonous. It looks just like you typical desert landscape.

3) I love when biologists discover new sea species in remote deep-water habitats. It's our only final frontier on Earth:

4) Saw the South pole celebration and unveiling of the Jupitor-Saturn hybrid marker for the geographic South-pole. I'm not sure whether I like it so much this year:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
ProfuselyQuarky said:
More digital speed paints . . .

I like the digital art speed paints, especially coupled to the "Coachella-ist" rave-ish music or whatever they call it these days. It's hypnotic and relaxing, almost ASMR-ish. There's so many 3D rendered images out there now that you suspect that programmers can just "will" these things onto the computer screen well, at will. But it looks as though it still takes a lot of work.

Although I saw these a few weeks ago, I similarly like these videos by Eugene Khutoryansky.

I'm a biologist but have been interested in physics in recent years and just recently it seemed to me that all the eigenvalues of a quantum operator were scaling values of the initial wave function. This was apparent because an eigenfunction or eigenvector only returned values that multiplied or scaled the original function. However, I initially doubted this conclusion because I never heard anyone say this outright. I thought my conclusion may have been oversimplistic (because I'm biologist). In fact, I was actually going to ask a question on this forum exactly about that topic a couple months ago but got sidetracked.

So when I saw that Eugene expressed this not only mathematically but pictorially I was at once both delighted and upset. Delighted that it was confirmation of my suspicions but upset that after years of studying quantum mechanics nobody just ever came out and stated the obvious:

Another example is Eugene's expression of the wave function as a phasor in complex space. Again this was something I eventually learned on my own but when I saw his video it just reinforced what I suspected was the case and got upset at the fact that I was wasting learning about two-dimensional representations of these phasors with separate real and imaginary parts. What an ineffective and confusing way to describe the wave function:

I guess the point is though, here, that I also view Eugene's videos in that sort of scientifically fascinating, soothing way. Only he has the classical music and, of course, some of his videos are better than others.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
DiracPool said:
So when I saw that Eugene expressed this not only mathematically but pictorially I was at once both delighted and upset. Delighted that it was confirmation of my suspicions but upset that after years of studying quantum mechanics nobody just ever came out and stated the obvious:
Those videos are pretty cool! I get what what you mean that nobody just "states the obvious" :rolleyes: I also like the jelly fish one and Cold War documentary. I'm half way through :smile:
DiracPool said:
I like the digital art speed paints, especially coupled to the "Coachella-ist" rave-ish music or whatever they call it these days. It's hypnotic and relaxing, almost ASMR-ish.
Yep, they're pretty awesome. The artsy, colorful vibe is nice, though, I watch them mainly for the purpose of observing the artist's strokes and the way they play with lighting. It's like watching a physics lecture, only for digital art :P
DiracPool said:
There's so many 3D rendered images out there now that you suspect that programmers can just "will" these things onto the computer screen well, at will. But it looks as though it still takes a lot of work.
There's a HUGE difference between 3D rendered images and digital art. DA is pretty much just whatever people do on paper, only on a computer monitor. It can take me around 4-5 hours to complete a drawing, but that's nothing compared to others. It's called a digital "speed" paint for a reason. It takes some people up to 11-13 hours at times, depending on what they're doing.

Today I watched . . .

1) More from webang111

2) More!

3) World History class left me no choice . . .

That pretty much covers it.

Last edited:
Likes 1oldman2
https://brightcove.hs.llnwd.net/v1/uds/pd/679256133001/201604/3534/679256133001_4861959063001_4861874179001.mp4?pubId=679256133001&videoId=4861874179001
I find this relevant to myself lately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes ProfuselyQuarky
1oldman2 said:
https://brightcove.hs.llnwd.net/v1/uds/pd/679256133001/201604/3534/679256133001_4861959063001_4861874179001.mp4?pubId=679256133001&videoId=4861874179001
I find this relevant to myself lately.
How is that relevant to you, 1oldman2? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1oldman2
ProfuselyQuarky said:
How is that relevant to you, 1oldman2? :)
Since my wife's stroke, I find the brain is a very interesting item. :smile:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
1oldman2 said:
Since my wife's stroke, I find the brain is a very interesting item. :smile:
I'm very sorry she's had a stroke, 1oldman2. I hope she gets back to her old self.

Likes 1oldman2
ProfuselyQuarky said:
I'm very sorry she's had a stroke, 1oldman2. I hope she gets back to her old self.
Thank you, We are both very lucky, could have been far worse. But it is a real education in neurology. Fascinating to see a mind healing and making new connections after over 35 years, not unlike meeting someone new that you have known for a very long time.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and Sophia
1) Implicit differentiation. I was searching for tutorials on implicit differentiation but all I could look at were her bra straps:

Good presentation, though.

2) What got me started:

3) The whole 4 part series is great but this is the one I watched last night. Simon is cool.

4) I listen to this while I sleep. It got a bad rap for being being too low key, played down. But I like it. That's why it's a good video to doze off too:

5) This is a great video: Not only does it take you through all the "operation" programs such as operation Ivy, "Mike" explosion, it gives you a much more in depth explanation of the composition of the devices than I have ever seen in a popular video:

Professor Moriarty is a awesome.

Likes DiracPool
Mondayman said:
Professor Moriarty

I actually caught professor Moriarty playing a riff from Rush's Red Barchetta song as a demo on his youtube channel. I let him know I recognized it and he was amazed I got it. I guess we're both from the same generation.

That's terrific! It's cool that he's into metal and rock and roll.

I actually had tickets to Rush, but the concert was canceled and transferred to Lethbridge because of the floods here in Calgary. I was crushed! (I don't drive, couldn't get to LB) :frown:.

DiracPool said:
I actually caught professor Moriarty playing a riff from Rush's Red Barchetta song as a demo on his youtube channel. I let him know I recognized it and he was amazed I got it. I guess we're both from the same generation.
Mondayman said:
That's terrific! It's cool that he's into metal and rock and roll.

I actually had tickets to Rush, but the concert was canceled and transferred to Lethbridge because of the floods here in Calgary. I was crushed! (I don't drive, couldn't get to LB) :frown:.
Yes, yes, and yes! Professor Moriarty is definitely my favorite ... from Sixty Symbols and outside of Sixty Symbols, too :smile:

Likes Mondayman
Today I watched ...

1)

2)

3) The prior video led me to this

4)

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Yes, yes, and yes! Professor Moriarty is definitely my favorite ... from Sixty Symbols and outside of Sixty Symbols, too :smile:
Did you see the one where he went to Ethiopia with a few others to teach physics? That was cool!

Mondayman said:
Did you see the one where he went to Ethiopia with a few others to teach physics? That was cool!
Yes ... I've seen them ALL :woot:

1) Did some storm chasing on my VR google cardboard headset:

2) Watched a couple WSF panel discussions on Einstein and the concept of time:

3) Learned how to cross-multiply once again:

4) Learned about the history of electricity and power:

5) Got the skinny on the Kurst submarine sinking:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
1) I like Khan's discussion on the "intuition" of how implicit differentiation is understood by using the chain rule:

2) I also like Patrick JMT's brute force "shut up and calculate" approach that eschews "intuition" for just solving more problems and not asking too many questions:

3) I subscribe to this channel even though it's kind of cheesy at times. But you've got to love a guy like Lenny who is unashamedly comfortable in his own skin:

4) You can't save everybody. Sometimes the herd needs to be thinned out. Something to think about... BTW, Microsoft still sucks as in Windows 10 actually sucks. It's embarrassing:

5) I've really been thinking about "Time" a lot lately, and I like this documentary by Kaku:

Btw, Yes, I actually did watch all of these videos in the past 24 hours. That's the rule :oldsmile:

Brazilian Politics

Funny and insightful::oldbiggrin:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/130619176

Likes DiracPool
The day is short thus far but,

Likes DiracPool
An interesting video about human innate morality. Psychological experiments on babies

1) I like to eat chili and use tabasco sauce and watch documentaries on how tabasco sauce is made while I'm eating the chili and using the sauce:

I like to do the same with Worchestershire sauce when I eat a cheap steak:

With the Worchestershire sauce, I like to take a bite of the steak and pour the sauce into a spoon and "chase" the steak bite with a shot of Worchestershire sauce. Yummy!

2) I need to lose about 40 pounds so this might be a solution? Self discipline hasn't worked so far:

3) This guy is interesting, his argument here is basically about your "social capital" and that you should post more potentially damning commentaries on your social-political position and compromising photographs of yourself on social media and you'll be more successful. Maybe he's right?

4) I guess I must be hungry, because here's another vid on my youtube history list from yesterday. After I watched this video, I drank about half a bottle of first cold pressed olive oil imported from TUNISIA in a green bottle to fight of the UV rays. It was delicious. To be honest, though, I'd rather have the old school processing with the stone wheel and hydrolic press. Watching that delicious oil ooze from the stack is hypnotic:

1. What is the most interesting video you watched today?

The most interesting video I watched today was a documentary about the search for extraterrestrial life.

2. Can you recommend any interesting videos to watch?

Yes, I would recommend watching a TED talk about the latest advancements in renewable energy technology.

3. Did you watch any videos related to your field of study?

Yes, I watched a lecture on the latest research in neuroscience and its potential applications in medicine.

4. How do you find interesting videos to watch?

I usually search for videos on topics that I am interested in or that relate to my current research projects.

5. Have you discovered any new ideas or concepts from the videos you watched today?

Yes, I learned about a new approach to solving a problem in my field of study from a video I watched today.