What Are the Two Common Forms of the Mathematical Equation for Slope?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
1337Montage
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Give the two common forms of the mathematical equation for slope (involving X & Y)?


Homework Equations


?


The Attempt at a Solution


Can you guys please give me the two common forms of the mathematical equation for slope? I don't know what it is but I am guessing it's slope=rise/run and slope=y2-y1/x2-x1
 
Physics news on Phys.org


y2-y1/x2-x1 is the definition of rise/run. And rise/run is not really a legitimate mathematical formula. The slope is also the derivative of y with respect to x at a given point: dy/dx. I don't know if that's exactly what your'e looking for, though.
 


musicmar said:
y2-y1/x2-x1 is the definition of rise/run. And rise/run is not really a legitimate mathematical formula. The slope is also the derivative of y with respect to x at a given point: dy/dx. I don't know if that's exactly what your'e looking for, though.

So basically you are saying that the two defining equations are y2-y1/x2-x1 and dy/dx.
That does make sense because the previous question asked me for the defining equation of the concept of slope, which my teacher said was slope=rise/run.

EDIT: But I am a little confused about dy/dx...
 


I don't know what level of math you are in, but dy/dx, or the derivative of y with respect to x, is from calc 1. If you are in a lower level math class than calculus, you will not have learned derivatives yet, and I don't know another definition of slope.
 


The question is quite unclear.
Any how I have these two forms-
If co-ordinates of the points are given (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) then the slope is m = y2-y1/x2-x1

If the equation of the straight line is given-
Ax + By + C =0
then slope m = -A/B