Finding the slope of a log-log graph?

• Thread starter isukatphysics69
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph Slope
In summary, according to Wikipedia, the slope of a log-log plot is approximately 1. However, the slope shown on the graph appears to be closer to 1.026315789.
isukatphysics69

Homework Statement

loglog.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Wikipedia is saying to use
loglog.PNG

But when i take the points on my graph i am getting a slope of -0.61 using this formula.
When i use the standard
(y2 - y1)/(x2 - x1)
i get 1.02 which makes more sense
ok now i have picked some different points and am getting a slope of 2.7
But looking at this graph it looks like the slope is just around 1, so Wikipedia is telling me one thing but the graph looks like the slope is just 1. i have never learned about log log graphs before the prof kind of just threw us into this stuff not sure if i should go with my gut or listen to Wikipedia here. don't want to screw up whole lab report

Attachments

• loglog.jpg
    loglog.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 2,140
  • loglog.PNG
    loglog.PNG
    9.4 KB · Views: 1,621
Physics news on Phys.org
The values you have on the axes are the values of ##\log(x)## and ##\log(y)##, not those of x and y.

Likes isukatphysics69
Orodruin said:
The values you have on the axes are the values of ##\log(x)## and ##\log(y)##, not those of x and y.
but if you look at some points like rise = 0.40 run = 1.9
(0.40)/(1.9-1.5) = 1

wait i think i know what you mean I'm not thinking about this proper

So that isn't actually 0.40 it is actually log(0.40)

but i think that would be incorrect because we already logged them when we took the data

No. What you have is not really a log-log plot in the sense that your axes are linear. You are merely plotting the logs of some functions. What the Wikipedia page is talking about is when the axes are graded logarithmically and you read the values of, in this case, ##\Delta m## and ##a## from them and not the values of ##\log(\Delta m)## and ##\log(a)##.

Likes isukatphysics69
Could you please limit yourself to one post at a time? A continuous stream of one-line posts makes it very difficult to answer properly and you will benefit from structuring your thinking if you think your posts through more carefully before you submit them.

Likes isukatphysics69
Yes i am sorry i will do one at a time. Ok i see what youre saying here. So long story short the slope IS actually roughly 1 because we have taken the logs of some values, this isn't a real log log graph

The two values of "a" you have shown on your graph are ##10^{0.8}=6.31## and ##10^{0.4}=2.51##. The corresponding two values of ##\Delta m## are ##10^{2.3}=200## and ##10^{1.9}=79.4##. So, according to their formula,
$$m=\frac{\log(6.31/2.51)}{\log(200/79.4)}=\frac{\log(2.51)}{\log(2.51)}=\frac{0.4}{0.4}=1$$

Likes isukatphysics69
Ok now i am looking for the power law that best fits data. i am starting with
log(y) = mlog(x)+log(k)
log(y) = log(x)m+log(k)
10log(y) = 10logxm*k
y=xm*k
now to find the k
i don't think i should raise 10m tho to find m tho because it is xm

i am reading some good information on log log stuff right now i think i might be able to figure out
i have to raise the m to the 10m , it doesn't make sense if i don't. the slope that i have right now from the log log graph is 1.026315789 so the slope on a normal graph would be 101.026315789 = 10.6246783

i am concluding that my data is showing an inversely proportional relation to acceleration and mass

Last edited:

1. What is a log-log graph and why is it used?

A log-log graph is a type of graph where both the x-axis and y-axis are scaled logarithmically. This type of graph is used to represent data that covers a wide range of values, as it allows for a better visualization of the relationship between the data points.

2. How do you find the slope of a log-log graph?

To find the slope of a log-log graph, you can use the formula: slope = (log(y2) - log(y1)) / (log(x2) - log(x1)), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are two points on the graph. You can also use the slope tool in graphing software to find the slope.

3. What does the slope of a log-log graph represent?

The slope of a log-log graph represents the rate of change between the two variables. It tells us how much the y-value changes for every change in the x-value. A positive slope indicates a positive relationship, while a negative slope indicates a negative relationship.

4. Can the slope of a log-log graph be negative?

Yes, the slope of a log-log graph can be negative. A negative slope indicates a negative relationship between the two variables, meaning that as one variable increases, the other variable decreases.

5. How can I determine the accuracy of the slope on a log-log graph?

The accuracy of the slope on a log-log graph can be determined by calculating the standard error of the slope. This calculation takes into account the variability of the data points and provides a measure of how reliable the slope is. A lower standard error indicates a more accurate slope.