What are the two types of ATP synthesis and how do they differ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter gracy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Formation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
gracy
Messages
2,486
Reaction score
83
I came across a term "indirect atp formation"I am not sure what it is ?
What is the difference between direct and indirect atp synthesis?I think substrate level phosphorylation (where a molecule directly donates a phosphate to ADP) is direct atp synthesis.Indirect atp synthesis is oxidative phosphorylation (in the electron transport chain; using the H+ gradient to attach inorganic phosphate to ADP).
Right?
 
Biology news on Phys.org
gracy said:
think substrate level phosphorylation (where a molecule directly donates a phosphate to ADP) is direct atp synthesis
The phosphate need not come from the molecule, the energy liberated during the conversion might just help in adding that Pi to ADP/GDP, eg:succinyl CoA to succinic acid in kreb's cycle.
gracy said:
oxidative phosphorylation (in the electron transport chain; using the H+ gradient to attach inorganic phosphate to ADP).
Yes, by PMF(proton motive force) and oxysomes(FoF1 particle)