What are the types of waves that can travel through space?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Modman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Space Waves
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Modman
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
I know there are different types of waves in matter, for example P waves, S waves, etc. But do these correlate to waves in space? For example I know of two types of waves through space: gravitational waves and light waves, which both travel at precisely the same speed. Are there any more types of waves through space?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I don't know if they correlate to waves in space because I don't really understand big words such as correlate (Only 13) but for the second question there are electromagnetic waves. Unless that is what you meant by light waves. If not then you should know that light is an electromagnetic wave, and all electromagnetic waves travel the same speed (the speed of light).
More on EM waves here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_spectrum