What are the units for angular velocity in this hydraulic piston mechanism?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
fluidmech
Messages
17
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Hello, I am doing a mechanisms homework assignment in which a hydraulic piston moves out and moves a link connected to the piston in an angular fashion. I'm just a bit confused about the units of angular velocity and I feel very foolish asking this.


Homework Equations


[tex]\omega \times r = v[/tex]
[tex]\omega = \frac{v}{r}[/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution


[tex]v=0.751751\frac{m}{s}[/tex]
[tex]r=0.6 m[/tex]
[tex]\omega=\frac{v}{r}=\frac{0.751751 \frac{m}{s}}{0.6 m} = 1.25 \frac{rad}{s}[/tex]

Can someone just double check that the units are indeed radians per second? SI units for angular velocity is rad/s.. and this is SI. Just want to double check that it's not rev per second. I know, it's foolish. Thanks in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
fluidmech said:

Homework Statement


Hello, I am doing a mechanisms homework assignment in which a hydraulic piston moves out and moves a link connected to the piston in an angular fashion. I'm just a bit confused about the units of angular velocity and I feel very foolish asking this.

Homework Equations


[tex]\omega \times r = v[/tex]
[tex]\omega = \frac{v}{r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


[tex]v=0.751751\frac{m}{s}[/tex]
[tex]r=0.6 m[/tex]
[tex]\omega=\frac{v}{r}=\frac{0.751751 \frac{m}{s}}{0.6 m} = 1.25 \frac{rad}{s}[/tex]

Can someone just double check that the units are indeed radians per second? SI units for angular velocity is rad/s.. and this is SI. Just want to double check that it's not rev per second. I know, it's foolish. Thanks in advance!

Yes, it's radians/sec. rev/sec differs by a factor of 2pi. To convince yourself, if v=1m/sec and r=1m and the motion is circular then v/r=1/sec but it would take you 2pi seconds to get around the whole circle and make a rev.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person