What are the units of Lz and L^2?

  • Thread starter Thread starter smileandbehappy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Units
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
smileandbehappy
Messages
66
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



From quantum numbers: n=2, l=1, m=-1 find the total energy, Lz and L^2?

Homework Equations



E = -Er/n^2 (I think, although it refers to the total energy we have the principle quantum numbers so I'm good to go.

Lz = mh(bar)

L^2= l(L+1)(hbar)^2

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
E = -3.4eV (Just from plugging numbers)

Lz = - hbar

L^2 = 2(hbar)^2

(apologies for hbar - I don't know how to write it nicely. It's just planks constant divieded by 2pi)

However I can't find units for the Lz, or the L^2. Am I being incredibly stupid, and it the hbar the unit - or is there is there a uni? I have searched on hyperphysics and in three textbooks for this - and none give a unit, or a justification as to why there is now one.

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
smileandbehappy said:

Homework Statement



From quantum numbers: n=2, l=1, m=-1 find the total energy, Lz and L^2?

Homework Equations



E = -Er/n^2 (I think, although it refers to the total energy we have the principle quantum numbers so I'm good to go.

Lz = mh(bar)

L^2= l(l+1)(hbar)^2

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
E = -3.4eV (Just from plugging numbers)

Lz = - hbar

L^2 = 2(hbar)^2

(apologies for hbar - I don't know how to write it nicely. It's just planks constant divieded by 2pi)

However I can't find units for the Lz, or the L^2. Am I being incredibly stupid, and it the hbar the unit - or is there is there a uni? I have searched on hyperphysics and in three textbooks for this - and none give a unit, or a justification as to why there is now one.

Thanks.
What do L and Lz represent ? -- angular momentum and the z component of angular momentum ?

What are units for angular momentum?

Google Plank's constant. Here's a link to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_constant

Units for ħ : Energy unit × time unit : J⋅s .

ħ has same units as h, Plank's constant.
 
Ah thanks - I thought that hbar had something to do with the units - I'm just having a bad brain day.

The logical step here is to leave the answer in terms of hbar... but I'm not sure if that is what they want. I might just write it both ways to satisfy them.

Thanks