1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the units of Lz and L^2?

1. Apr 25, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

From quantum numbers: n=2, l=1, m=-1 find the total energy, Lz and L^2?

2. Relevant equations

E = -Er/n^2 (I think, although it refers to the total energy we have the principle quantum numbers so I'm good to go.

Lz = mh(bar)

L^2= l(L+1)(hbar)^2

3. The attempt at a solution

E = -3.4eV (Just from plugging numbers)

Lz = - hbar

L^2 = 2(hbar)^2

(apologies for hbar - I don't know how to write it nicely. It's just planks constant divieded by 2pi)

However I can't find units for the Lz, or the L^2. Am I being incredibly stupid, and it the hbar the unit - or is there is there a uni? I have searched on hyperphysics and in three text books for this - and none give a unit, or a justification as to why there is now one.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2015 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do L and Lz represent ? -- angular momentum and the z component of angular momentum ?

What are units for angular momentum?

Google Plank's constant. Here's a link to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_constant

Units for ħ : Energy unit × time unit : J⋅s .

ħ has same units as h, Plank's constant.

4. Apr 25, 2015 #3
    Ah thanks - I thought that hbar had something to do with the units - I'm just having a bad brain day.

The logical step here is to leave the answer in terms of hbar... but I'm not sure if that is what they want. I might just write it both ways to satisfy them.

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted