What Are the Variable Restrictions in the Equation 5/x = (10/3x) + 4?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter rynesdad5
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Variables
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
rynesdad5
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Write the restrictions on the variables for the following equation. Keeping in mind the restrictions, solve the equation

5/x=(10/3x)+4

Here is what I did, but I'm not sure if it's right.

(3x)(5/x)=(3x)[(10/3x)+4]

15=(3x)(10/3x)+(3x)4

15=10+12x

5=12x

x=5/12

But I don't know what to do about the restrictions. Can someone help? Thank you in advance.
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi rynesdad5,:)

Welcome to MHB!

You've solved the problem correctly but you have to keep in mind that the denominator of any fraction cannot be zero. If the denominator is zero, then the expression is not real because its overall value is undefined, since, e.g. $\dfrac{2}{0}=\infty$.

In your problem, you have two fractions there, one is $\dfrac{5}{x}$ and the other is $\dfrac{10}{3x}$. What can you say about the value(s) of $x$ that you couldn't take for these two fractions?
 
rynesdad5 said:
Write the restrictions on the variables for the following equation. Keeping in mind the restrictions, solve the equation

5/x=(10/3x)+4

Here is what I did, but I'm not sure if it's right.

(3x)(5/x)=(3x)[(10/3x)+4]

15=(3x)(10/3x)+(3x)4

15=10+12x

5=12x

x=5/12

But I don't know what to do about the restrictions. Can someone help? Thank you in advance.

I think you have solved the problem correctly..If x is in denominator itself you should take care of x,it should not be zero