What are the x- and y-components of the velocity vector?

In summary: If you are asking me, I do not have the full context of the conversation so I cannot provide an accurate summary. Please provide more information and I will do my best to assist.
jamal.kun

Homework Statement

Question is: What are the x- and y-components of the velocity vector shown in the figure?
knight_Figure_03_22.jpg

https://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1384003/6/knight_Figure_03_22.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried -100 m/s*cos(30 degrees)=-86.6m/s for the x component and -100m/s*sin(30 degrees)=-50m/s for the y component, but was incorrect for both. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
jamal.kun said:

Homework Statement

Question is: What are the x- and y-components of the velocity vector shown in the figure?
knight_Figure_03_22.jpg

https://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1384003/6/knight_Figure_03_22.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried -100 m/s*cos(30 degrees)=-86.6m/s for the x component and -100m/s*sin(30 degrees)=-50m/s for the y component, but was incorrect for both. What am I missing?

Welcome to the PF.

You got the sin & cos backwards. Try drawing the line from the tip of the vector to the negative y axis. See how the component of the vector on the negative y-axis involves the cos(30 degrees)?

Thanks berkeman, I see what you mean now. I didn't expect something like that. Thank you for the incredibly quick reply.

Likes berkeman
If we drawing the line from the tip of the vertor to the negative y-axis then What will be its angle with x axis and negative y-axis?

Abdullah Wali said:
If we drawing the line from the tip of the vertor to the negative y-axis then What will be its angle with x axis and negative y-axis?
If you are asking jamal.kun, the thread is seven years old and jamal is no longer a forum member.

1. What does the x-component of the velocity vector represent?

The x-component of the velocity vector represents the velocity in the horizontal direction, or left and right motion.

2. How is the y-component of the velocity vector calculated?

The y-component of the velocity vector is calculated using the formula: v*sin(theta), where v is the magnitude of the velocity and theta is the angle between the velocity vector and the horizontal axis.

3. Can the x- and y-components of the velocity vector have different units?

Yes, the x- and y-components of the velocity vector can have different units. The x-component is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) and the y-component is measured in meters per second (m/s) as well. However, depending on the application, other units such as kilometers per hour (km/h) or miles per hour (mph) may be used.

4. How do the x- and y-components of the velocity vector affect the overall velocity?

The x- and y-components of the velocity vector are independent of each other and do not directly affect the overall velocity. The overall velocity is the vector sum of the x- and y-components, calculated using the Pythagorean theorem: sqrt((x-component)^2 + (y-component)^2).

5. Can the x- and y-components of the velocity vector change over time?

Yes, the x- and y-components of the velocity vector can change over time. This is known as acceleration and is influenced by forces acting on the object. The change in the x- and y-components of the velocity vector over time can be described by the equations of motion in physics.