What are these speakers/microphones alongside professional soccer fields?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Admin
Messages
69,781
Reaction score
25,629
I keep seeing these pods along the sidelines of the professional soccer fields on TV (pro footbol pitches), and I'm wondering what they are for. There seem to be more of them at the ends of the field, and especially near the goals. Are they microphones? If so, what are they for? Who hears the sound? The game of soccer is not exactly a very player sound intensive game, IMO.

If they are speakers, what do they broadcast? Some status to the players? Something else? Sorry if it should be obvious, and thanks. :smile:

https://cdn.digitalsport.co/wp-cont...kfurt-Game-day-presentation-130_6000x4000.jpg

32508_2017-05-Frankfurt-Game-day-presentation-130_6000x4000.jpg
 
Attachments
  • 32508_2017-05-Frankfurt-Game-day-presentation-130_6000x4000.jpg
    32508_2017-05-Frankfurt-Game-day-presentation-130_6000x4000.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 745
Physics news on Phys.org
These are very likely mics to catch the stadium atmosphere and the chants of the spectators for a tv coverage. Looks like a Bundesliga match. I raise "very likely" by "certainly".
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
So I guess "as heard on the field by the players"? American "football" broadcasts use some different stadium noise pickup system, I think. Searching now...
 
And if so, why are there more pickup pods in the end zones near the goals?
 
berkeman said:
And if so, why are there more pickup pods in the end zones near the goals?
Are there? AFAIK they are more or less equidistantly distributed around the playground, possibly some extra mics where the coaches are.
 
berkeman said:
American "football" broadcasts use some different stadium noise pickup system, I think.
We don't have Cheerleaders. Except for American football matches, but then there are no spectators.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
Maybe they are sport radar devices (like this) that collect data for analyses, like these guys are talking about, but for soccer, rather than football or baseball.

An incredible amount of data are now collected for sports analyses now.
Its like high tech Moneyball.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman