What are you currently trying to prove / disprove?

• Thread starter uperkurk
  • Start date
In summary: I'm having a lot of trouble understanding the concepts and the material is incredibly dense. In summary, the goal of my research is to better understand fracturation of isotopes, and how this affects temperature.
uperkurk
So is there anything in particular you're trying to prove or disprove within the fields of maths or physics? Are you making any progress? How would your findings affect our understanding of a related topic?

Physics news on Phys.org
uperkurk said:
So is there anything in particular you're trying to prove or disprove within the fields of maths or physics? Are you making any progress? How would your findings affect our understanding of a related topic?

I don't believe I'm mathematically mature enough to work on anything that will further our understanding of mathematics, but we've begun to study quotient rings and homomorphisms in my abstract algebra course, so I'm working on proving theorems about these structures. It has been an incredibly difficult course, as I've never had to think at this level of abstraction before.

Here is a homework problem I just finished:

Let [itex]f:R\to S[/itex] be a homomorphism of rings with kernel [itex]K[/itex]. Let [itex]I[/itex] be an ideal in [itex]R[/itex] such that [itex]I\subseteq K[/itex]. Show that [itex]\bar{f}:R/ I \to S[/itex] given by [itex]\bar{f}(r+I)=f(r)[/itex] is a well-defined homomorphism. :cry:

----------------------------------------------------

My physics lab instructor told us to never claim our results "prove" anything in our reports. Our results either "confirm" or "do not confirm" the theory in question.

Mt thesis is more exploratory. You take a new system and you play with it, make simulations, analyze result in creative ways. Hundreds of potential hypotheses basically just fall out of the system.

Then you have to see which of those hypotheses are new, unique, and reproducible and package them into an interesting story that demonstrates the significance of the research to humans (in regard to either understanding or applications).

uperkurk said:
So is there anything in particular you're trying to prove or disprove within the fields of maths or physics?

...applied physics on fractination of isotopes and temperature?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22026080/non-calor-sed-umor.pdf

Are you making any progress?

None whatsoever, but that's to be expected probably.

Last edited by a moderator:

Currently, I am conducting research on the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and their application in understanding the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. My goal is to further our understanding of the underlying mechanisms that govern the behavior of particles in this realm and potentially disprove certain assumptions that have been made in the past.

As with any scientific research, progress is incremental and often involves trial and error. However, my team and I have made significant progress in developing new mathematical models that can better explain the behavior of particles in quantum systems. We have also conducted experiments that have provided evidence to support our theories.

If our findings are validated and accepted by the scientific community, it could potentially lead to a shift in our understanding of quantum mechanics and how it relates to other fields such as cosmology and particle physics. It could also have practical applications in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing.

Overall, our research has the potential to contribute to a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe and how they govern the behavior of matter at a microscopic level. This could have far-reaching implications for the advancement of science and technology in the future.

What are you currently trying to prove/disprove?

I am currently trying to prove/disprove the hypothesis that [insert specific hypothesis].

What methods are you using to conduct your research?

I am using [insert specific methods] to conduct my research. This includes [insert specific techniques] and [insert specific data analysis methods].

What evidence do you have to support your hypothesis?

I have gathered evidence from [insert sources of data] and analyzed it using [insert specific data analysis methods]. This evidence includes [insert specific findings] which support my hypothesis.

How does your research contribute to the scientific community?

My research adds to the existing body of knowledge on [insert specific topic] and can potentially have practical applications in [insert specific field or industry]. It also opens up new avenues for further research and exploration.

What challenges have you faced during your research?

Some challenges I have faced during my research include [insert specific challenges]. These challenges have required me to adapt my methods and approaches, but have ultimately strengthened my research and findings.