What are you doing during quarantine?

• Thread starter hagopbul
  • Start date
In summary: We don't have lockdown yet, so it's just planning and preparation. The hills starting in the backyard (almost literally), so we definitely plan to sneak out for some hiking.In summary, Hagop is from Syria and is living in Lebanon. He is working from home, but is resisting going on a walk because he loves walking. He is worried about the Covid-19 effect, and is reading what he can.
i wondering why it is spread to 155 countries ? so fast ?
and what good from border level isolation after it is spreading to all this countries , shouldn't we send resources more easily on larger geographical scale after all this self quarantining and self isolating if there is one country with problems it will spread to the glob , because we didnt stop SARS we have now SARS-ncov-2

Physics news on Phys.org
kyphysics said:
Hey that's great! Any linger symptoms at all? If you wouldn't mind, maybe you can review your entire experience of symptoms.
Hi @kyphysics , my symptoms have been:
  • Running nose (very runny)
  • Stuffy nose
  • Sneezing
  • Mild fever for 2-3 days
  • A bit of a sore throat
  • A very slight burning sensation in the chest (I wouldn't have thought of it if you didn't mention it)
The only things I have at the moment is a mildly sore throat and a very slight burning sensation in the chest, and these symptoms are barely noticeable.

Last edited:
Likes hagopbul
hutchphd said:
A question of etiquette: among serious builders of miniatures (particularly architectural/historical ones) what is the general attitude towards use of mechanically printed stuff (either flat or 3D) particularly for textures for siding, roofs, etc. Is there an agreed upon demarcation line? I have dabbled in railroad diorama.
I can't say I consider myself very serious, but my opinion is pretty much anything goes. I'd say, if it looks nice and is reasonably accurate, then why not?
I don't do any railroad things, I build spaceships (Star Wars/Star Trek) and some naval ships. I also do some figures. Personally I prefer the painting part over the building part. I love to paint models, which I do with airbrush nowadays.

Likes hagopbul and hutchphd
New York is closing down, I just relocated to Connecticut and they are closing down as of Monday night. Defense industry is exempt, so I am good, but my lovely bride is calling me from halfway across the country and begging me not to go out.

I ran to the office to pick up my laptop so that I can work from home, stopped at the store, people are flipping out, they won't touch anything without a bleach wipe in hand and the lady ahead of me came back to tell me that she only touched the credit card machine with a wipe.

My old job is having a mandatory "muster" every morning via email to make sure people are working. I guess that management charging $200+ an hour trying to keep track of people is a good outlay of federal dollars. I'd have been OK, they'd have had to pay me, they wouldn't get me a laptop when I asked for one and I blocked my bosses number in my phone because he was calling me at home to chew me out for his half baked ideas not panning out..

Such is life, I'll be working from home while I can get a vpn slot and when I can't makeup some fake data and spend some time on writing tools for when we get back into the office full time.

Likes hagopbul and Mondayman
DennisN said:
Hi @kyphysics , my symptoms have been:
  • Running nose (very runny)
  • Stuffy nose
  • Sneezing
  • Mild fever for 2-3 days
  • A bit of a sore throat
  • A very slight burning sensation in the chest (I wouldn't have thought of it if you didn't mention it)
The only things I have at the moment is a mildly sore throat and a very slight burning sensation in the chest, and these symptoms are barely noticeable.
Regarding the slight burning sensation, its' very interesting.

I've NEVER felt this before ...ever, I don't think. As I said in my post, it's very weird and hard to describe. And, I myself had not thought to bring it up either, before I heard another person online say they felt it and thought he had a mild case of COVID19.

That's why I wrote perhaps I have a mild case as well. The symptoms aren't getting worse, but have lingered in sort of on and off days. Given that, I'm not going to go see a doctor, as I agree with the advice that unless you're very sick, it's probably best to just let your body self-heal. If you go in for a doctor's visit, you MIGHT GET COVID19 just hanging out in the waiting rooms.

I do hope you symptoms entirely disappear soon and glad they seem to be somewhat diminishing.

Thank you for doing these updates. I find this very therapeutic and shall update again in a few days. :smile:

Likes hagopbul and DennisN
Finally serviced my mountain bike (MTB) shifter lever pawls, thanks to this very helpful YouTube video. Heading out to climb some muddy hills tomorrow, and then doing some more work at home (yes, on a Sunday)...

Likes Klystron, PhDeezNutz, Dr. Courtney and 4 others
cant leave home , but still want to travel ?

Fire up Google Earth and start doing some street or aerial views of some
places around the world of interest to you.

SLAC Stanford accelerator, California, USA
Clipboard01.jpg

Or maybe Zurich

Clipboard02.jpg
exploring new places is easy and a lot of fun, you can wile away many hours just wandering around the planetDave

Likes Klystron, DennisN and hagopbul
our university is transitioning to online delivery. However, physics labs, as of Friday last week, are still going ahead as normal. So I'll go into work unless labs are cancelled.

Likes Dr. Courtney, hagopbul and davenn
davenn said:
[...] start doing some street or aerial views of some places around the world of interest to you. [...]

Oh, stuff city travel. This is where I'd like to spend the rest of my life, pandemic or not.

Maybe I should try the "virtual home" thing. I.e., install many large UHD flat screens on walls of my home that just cycle through the pictures in that link (and several others in that same area).

Likes Klystron, Evo, BillTre and 2 others
strangerep said:
Oh, stuff city travel. This is where I'd like to spend the rest of my life, pandemic or not.

Havent been there yet, basically it's out of my affordability range :frown:

Likes hagopbul
davenn said:
Havent been there yet,

Imho, the reality of most of Hamilton Island is quite disappointing compared to the hype. But that spot in the "Bella Vista" complex, overlooking Fitzalan Passage, is the most hypnotically stunning view I've ever seen in the entire world. Last time I was there, I just wanted to do nothing else but sit on that balcony and gaze at the intensely blue Coral Sea water, literally all day long.

basically it's out of my affordability range :frown:
Yes, -- I can barely afford more than a few days at a time (by myself). I was hoping the COVID-19 crash in tourism might force prices down. So far there's only faint signs of that.

But now, an official advisory has been issued against non-essential domestic travel. :oldfrown:

Likes hagopbul and davenn
It does my heart good that we're not becoming like "The Boy in the Plastic Bubble." My wife and I did skip our date night this week. Our favorite Mexican restaurant is too tightly packed to maintain the recommended 6 ft distancing. She did play tennis with friends yesterday, and we'll make a careful, short trip out this morning together. I went fishing yesterday. Didn't catch much, but really enjoyed it, and was grateful to be in rural Georgia. People on boats passing by were unusually chatty, and the boat ramp was busy and packed. Still plenty of room out there for safe distancing.

We're using the extra time from not traveling to work and many social closures to put a lot of extra effort in Spring cleaning in anticipation of our adult children returning from college this week. The road trips to get them and car rides back will probably be my greatest risk of exposure this week, up from zero to epsilon, I guess. Not worried. Happy to have them home. Brainstorming ways (other than fishing and mountain biking) to help everyone keep cabin fever at bay in the fluid environment of additional closures stacking up. Will they close the trails? The boat ramps? The tennis courts? The roads? The wildlife areas? Avoiding Walmart as much as possible as the most dangerous place in town. Setting up work areas for each student in the household. We down-sized our home when they went to college, so it will be closer quarters, and even though we home schooled, we'll be spending much more time at home that we are accustomed to. 44 miles on the mountain bike in the last week. But older adults have much more capacity than youths for limited social interaction.

Grateful for income streams that keep flowing working from home.

DSCN1362 (2).JPG

Likes DennisN, PhDeezNutz, Marc Rindermann and 3 others
Bought a bike yesterday so I can avoid public transport.
Checked my e-mails on a Saturday, something I said I would never do.
Sean Carroll is doing some posts on YT during the crisis (physics not Covid) so I'll be checking them out.
I want to get back into the maths of some of the physics I have been looking at.
Painfully slow but time is something I have right now.

Likes Klystron, DennisN, russ_watters and 4 others
Taking the opportunity to write my manuscript.

Likes hagopbul and pinball1970
South Carolina has not (yet?) put "shelter in place" into effect. In fact, no cases of the virus have been reported in my mostly rural county, nor in two of the neighboring counties. The other neighboring counties (with medium sized cities) started reporting cases last week. Still low numbers, nowhere near the major outbreak centers.

Nevertheless, all schools are closed. Colleges and universities have moved to online instruction. The college where I used to teach, and my wife still teaches part time (one course this semester) extended spring break and will resume classes online tomorrow. All restaurants have been ordered to stop dine-in service, and move to takeout and delivery only. Churches have all canceled services or moved them to online live streams. And of course all sorts of public meetings and events have been cancelled.

We can go out and move around with no restrictions except for avoiding close contact with other people, and most essential businesses are open. We stocked up on groceries more than a week ago, and should be able to wait another week to buy more. I've been walking a few miles a day as usual.

Last week I ordered one of Apple's new MacBook Airs to replace my wife's ancient MacBook and make it easier for her to work from home. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow. It will also give me a "test bed" to figure out how to transition from my also-ancient Mac Pro to a new iMac in the near future.

It looks like I won't be making hobby-related day-trips (or longer) any time soon. The last one was a day-trip to Charlotte a couple of weeks ago.

I have plenty of CDs to rip, tag and load into my iTunes library, and CD-booklets to scan to PDF files. When I get tired of that, I'll switch to preparing new material for my hobby website and updating some of the old pages.

Last edited:
Likes hagopbul and Dr. Courtney
The nearest virus cases are two counties away from my home in northern Wisconsin. All restaurants in the state are closed for dining in, but take out is acceptable. Most retail businesses are closed. The local grocery stores are out of toilet paper, soap, and sanitizer due to panic buying and hoarding. A friend told my wife that the liquor aisle of a grocery store in the next county was completely empty. The local libraries are closed. All public schools and the entire University of Wisconsin system are closed, although they are all attempting to keep going by distance learning.

I have a part time job that allows me to mostly work from home. And I have enough reading material to last for a while:
P3220009.JPG

• Love
  • Wow
Likes StoneTemplePython, Klystron, DennisN and 9 others
finished chapter 2 of the book i was reading hoora
self quarantine , is challenging thing , but it is in the same time some sort of social responsibility , it is day 7 already

what you do in the normal day i don't know , i went out side to buy few stuff , the mini market do not allow anyone in that is good but who knows how much time he can resist the need to gossip with his neighbors

the number of cases is still low about 200 only so here we are ahead of the problem until now

just wondering now there is so much airplanes on the ground do to the travel restriction shouldn't we use them to transport resources around the glob to better contain this problem it is currently in 150 + that means almost all of the glob

best
hagop

Likes Marc Rindermann and pinball1970
jrmichler said:
The nearest virus cases are two counties away from my home in northern Wisconsin. All restaurants in the state are closed for dining in, but take out is acceptable. Most retail businesses are closed. The local grocery stores are out of toilet paper, soap, and sanitizer due to panic buying and hoarding. A friend told my wife that the liquor aisle of a grocery store in the next county was completely empty. The local libraries are closed. All public schools and the entire University of Wisconsin system are closed, although they are all attempting to keep going by distance learning.

I have a part time job that allows me to mostly work from home. And I have enough reading material to last for a while:
View attachment 259122
That is your personal library?
Can I just say wow?

Likes BillTre and hagopbul
We are in lockdown ordered by the Mayor. My car has been in the repair shop since Friday, estimate $2,000! I supposedly need an oil cooler and a crankshaft seal. WHAT? I called around and read several places what was needed and only one place would give me an estimate over the phone, everyone else wanted me to bring the car in. The one place (which is the dealership where I bought the car) that was willing to quote me over the phone came in a few hundred less, but I know that they are always packed. The place near me is empty and they came and picked up my car and will deliver it back to my house when the work is completed, hopefully tomorrow, but it left me without a car when the lockdown was announced, but my neighbors said to call if I needed anything and they all brought food, now I have a fridge full of yummy prepared food.

So I am stuffing my face and giving raised bed gardening advice to the guy next door. He wanted to know how many square feet of dirt he'd need for this unit he was buying and asked if I was buying more dirt. I gave him a nice 4' x 4' raised bed last year, then he came over and "borrowed" all of my miracle gro top soil. BORROWED, like I'm ever going to get them back. :rolleyes: I had to go out and buy it all again, I said sure he could have a bag, he took them all.

• Sad
  • Wow
Likes Klystron, BillTre, pinball1970 and 1 other person
Wow! Dear Evo that guy is a jerk! I sure wouldn't call him a gentleman! Look if you need help and are in California I'll send you food and soil. Where I live, every store is open and has plenty of stuff.

Likes pinball1970, hagopbul and BillTre
I work from home full-time as a biostatistician consulting for the pharma sector (have been continuously for the past 5 years), so in this respect nothing has changed.

In Toronto, Ontario, Canada (where I live) we're not technically under an official quarantine, but we are strongly advised by public health officials from the municipal, provincial, and federal level to practice social distancing. So I limit stepping outside to shopping at groceries or pharmacies, or going out for walks alone when the weather permits (the streets and the public parks in my neighbourhood are largely empty, so I can maintain my distance).

As for what I do when I'm at home -- when I'm not working, I've been focusing on reading from e-books, taking online courses on Coursera, watching streaming shows or movies on Netflix or Rogers on Demand (a local version of VOD), or playing with my cat.

Likes hagopbul and pinball1970
Most people in our neighborhood have been following Governor DeWine's orders. My family and I have been on lockdown for 7 days, mostly we are trying to establish a routine- regular outdoor exercise, mealtimes, etc. Just like camping, except we aren't in a tiny tent but our house. What's interesting is that our neighborhood has gotten more social (from a distance)- families are out walking and checking in with each other.

The juxtaposition between social distancing and springtime weather is jarring- our youngest, a competitive athlete who's season just started is having a rough time- the 2020 Olympics discussion has been helpful to frame this issue. But flowers are a-blooming.

In terms of work, most of what I am doing is maintaining clear communications and information flow from upper administration to faculty and staff in our College (advising is handling communications to students) and relaying questions back up the chain, so far so good. And life goes on- papers to review, my Full Professor Dossier is due in a couple of weeks... Crises bring out both the best and worst in people, sometimes simultaneously, and fortunately my colleagues have been at their best.

Stay safe, everyone!

Likes pinball1970, StatGuy2000, DennisN and 2 others
i wake up after 2 hours of sleep only then i took 4 hours of sleep should start reading after small meal

watched few movies until now that something

should prepare a reading list

I've eaten forty pizzas in the last thirty days.

• Skeptical
  • Sad
Likes Auto-Didact, hagopbul, PhDeezNutz and 3 others
Mondayman said:
I haven't eaten a pizza this year!

• Wow
Likes hagopbul and BillTre
Working on animations of magnetic dipole and electric octupole radiation. This break from school gives me time to self-indulge.

I hope everyone is staying safe.

Likes Mondayman, hagopbul and pinball1970
Mondayman said:

Here's the true depravity test:
How many became cold breakfast pizzas??

hutchphd said:
Here's the true depravity test:
How many became cold breakfast pizzas??
Absolutely nothing wrong with cold pizza, cold vindaloo also. Great hangover cures.

Likes PhDeezNutz, hagopbul, hutchphd and 1 other person
I need to go to the street to get pizza today I didn't went out

Likes hutchphd
I was just quoting the former CEO of Papa John's fortunately, from one of his recent interviews. No way I could stomach that anymore.

When I was playing sports, eating an entire extra large pizza to oneself was not an uncommon feat. Active teenagers devour mountains of food in my experience.

Likes hagopbul
Watched cowboy bebop: the movie
Recently
It is a classic

Likes Andy Resnick
Likes Evo, collinsmark, Mondayman and 1 other person
StevieTNZ said:
LOTS OF BOOKS! What are some of your favourite topics?
Several shelves "belong" to my wife. She likes horror, environmental, and religion, and the relationship between the environment and the Bible. Mine are mostly science fiction, plus Eric Flint's 1632 series. I have a fairly complete selection of books by Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, Spider Robinson, David Brin, Ben Bova, Allan Dean Foster, Piers Anthony, Arthur C. Clark, James P. Hogan, Larry Niven, Dick Francis, and others. And some classics such as The Last Whole Earth Catalog and Domebook 2.

The bottom shelves in the smaller bookcase are bicycles, automotive, aeronautics, boats, firearms, and a collection of Calvin and Hobbes comics. The engineering reference books are in my home office in a different room.

Likes Klystron, hagopbul and PhDeezNutz
pinball1970 said:
Bought a bike yesterday so I can avoid public transport.
I bought a weight bench and some select-a-weight dumbells. When the weather warms-up I intend to hit the bike pretty hard.

Likes Evo, Astronuc, zoki85 and 2 others
Today I bought a pizza
Reached half my book that is something
Start putting reading list for the future with or without Corona viruses