What are you doing over winter break?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Break
In summary, Dave will be revising for exams and also looking for a job. His wife and daughter will be spending time with him. They will also be going ice skating and going to coffee shops.
Mostly for those in academia or anyone taking a vacation etc over the holidays.

Physics news on Phys.org
We’re going to travel to visit family but my personal list includes studying for the SAT, making pancake art, and finishing up some posters that need to be printed.

...But mostly pancake art.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Well apparently, I'm going to be working despite being scheduled for 11 consecutive days off -- either working at my job or working to repair a caved-in basement ceiling. :frown:

russ_watters said:
a caved-in basement ceiling.
Serious cave-in, or more cosmetic?

well, it's summer break here in Oz, it's stinking hot so we ( wife and I) are heading to the cooler climes of southern New Zealand
to have Christmas with my familyDave

davenn said:
well, it's summer break here in Oz, it's stinking hot...
Trade ya...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :ok:??

Bit nippy.JPG

davenn said:
southern New Zealand
Sigh.

Bystander said:
Sigh.

my family are around the Dunedin city area an d a little further inland from there

OCR said:
Trade ya.... :ok:??

View attachment 110483

yeah, that's just a tad chilly. We, on rare occasions, get down to 0C (32F) in my part of Sydney, Oz. Have had only 1 day under 30C in the last 2 weeks with the top of 40C (104F).
It's nite here as I type 9pm, it's 31C in the shack and 29C outside and the bedroom with the aircon beckons me :)Dave

Last edited:
Likes OCR
In no particular order ...

1. A friend and physics colleague has done a semi-empirical analysis on some of the physics involved in a popular winter sport. I am supposed to use computer analysis to turn his complicated equations into stuff that can be compared to what actually happens in this sport, hopefully for publication.

2. In January, a bright senior student will be doing a project-based course with me. I need to attempt to get up to speed before then. I will be relying on this student to do a good job of teaching me.

3. Read a little about quantum field theory, which I didn't learn as a student. My wife, who has an M.Sc. in physics, is a great source of encouragement: "You're to old to learn quantum field theory!"

4. Go (ice) skating with my daughter.

5. Go to coffee shops with my wife and daughter, where my wife and I like to talk, and where my daughter likes to sit and read.

6. Have friends over for meals.

7. Read the 700-page novel "By Gaslight".

Last edited:
Likes davenn and Greg Bernhardt
Eat way too much yummy food cooked by relatives.

Do my annual clean the house thing...or leave it another year again.

George Jones said:
A friend and physics colleague has done a semi-empirical analysis on some of the physics involved in a popular winter sport. I am supposed to use computer analysis to turn his complicated equations into stuff that can be compared to what actually happens in this sport, hopefully for publication.
Road Trip! :smile:

Likes davenn
This year is unlucky - all the holidays fall on Saturday and Sunday - so it's all work.

I have my first semester exams in mid Jan so I'll be sat revising most of the time unfortunatly.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Well, after having finished my exams just before the Christmas break... I suppose I'm still a little bit at a loss as to what I'm going to do. School starts in January 16th so, I suppose I could do a little bit of reading and self-studying.

The more prudent things to do would be to get more physical exercise and try to get a job in the next spring.

I'm decompressing, and trying to clean up the junk that's accumulated on my desk at home.

Greg Bernhardt said:
The right answer is hanging out at PF :biggrin:
yes, sir!

Hibernating.

1. What kind of research are you planning to do over winter break?

As a scientist, I am always looking for opportunities to conduct research and further my knowledge in my field. Over winter break, I plan to focus on a specific area of study that I have been interested in and conduct experiments or gather data to further my understanding.

2. Will you be traveling to any conferences or workshops over winter break?

Attending conferences and workshops is an important part of staying current in the scientific community. While there may not be as many events during winter break, I will still be on the lookout for any virtual conferences or workshops that I can attend to expand my knowledge and network with other scientists.

3. Are you taking a break from your research over winter break?

While winter break is a time for rest and relaxation, as a scientist, I am always thinking about my research and ways to improve it. I may take a break from conducting experiments, but I will still be reading literature and brainstorming ideas for future research.

4. Do you have any collaborations planned over winter break?

Collaborations with other scientists are crucial for advancing research and gaining new perspectives. I am always open to collaborating with other researchers, and I may have some projects in the works over winter break.

5. Will you be teaching or mentoring any students over winter break?

As a scientist, I also have a passion for educating and mentoring the next generation of researchers. I may have some students working on projects with me over winter break, or I may be teaching a course or workshop related to my field of study.