My Stressful Hobbies: Breadmaking and More

• Thread starter AJKing
  • Start date
In summary, the person enjoys relaxing by doing things with their family, reading novels, and observing amateur astronomy.
AJKing
What do you do for relaxation?

I don't relax. I'm stressed all the time.
(I also make bread.)

Physics news on Phys.org
AJKing said:
What do you do for relaxation?

I don't relax. I'm stressed all the time.
(I also make bread.)
What is this thing you call "relaxation"?

I watch food tv, but I spend most of my time screaming at the poor tv set because the idiots are clueless, yet they're on tv getting paid to give out misinformation. AAAAARRGGGHH

I guess that's my relaxation.

Running, chess, music (playing and listening), and spending time with my wife.

wolram said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellie_wanging

very good for relaxation and you meet so many nice people.

According to the link, Wellie wanging originated in a place called Upperthong. :eek:

<insert your own inappropriate comment here>

In case anyone doubts its existence.

Attachments

• thong villages.jpg
    thong villages.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 474
I see there's also a Netherthong and a Thongsbridge. :tongue2:

Family time, learning stuff and reading stuff. Don't get enough.

I thought it was called Wellie Hoying.

For relaxation (not a hobby), I find physical labour (where you are given some work, left alone to do it, and have the satisfaction of completing it) relaxing e.g. dry stone walling.

Last edited:
cobalt124 said:
I thought it was called Wellie Hoying.

My understanding of the verb 'to wang' implies divesting yourself of the wanged item on a permanent basis. But I claim no expertise in Yorkshire dialect. I live on the West side of the Pennines.

My main hobby is taking care of my dog. When my wife leaves in the morning, Duke comes into the bedroom and checks on me. Sometimes, he is quiet, but often he is noisy enough to wake me again, and I feel like I have to get out of bed. Then he heads out to his other bed in the living room and passes out, as quiet as a mouse.

Then it is walks so he can "do his business". He is quite particular about where he might defecate, so the walks are longer than one might expect.

My current hobby is building a house :P really time consuming.

Ken Natton said:
My understanding of the verb 'to wang' implies divesting yourself of the wanged item on a permanent basis. But I claim no expertise in Yorkshire dialect. I live on the West side of the Pennines.

Yep, wang seems to be Yorkshire for "throw" (never heard of it), and hoy seems to be Geordie for "throw".

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy, Astrophotography, video games.

Fine dining, TV, and reading are my main hobbies outside of school.

Andre said:
My current hobby is building a house :P really time consuming.

My hobby week:

33vkbgz.jpg

14l0jkm.jpg

For the past couple months my main hobby has been studying and working Math problems, but I also enjoy crocheting. I'm actually pretty good at it.

To have fun, I:

do things with my family (wife and six-year-old daughter) (e.g., my daughter and I are going skating on Friday);

read/work on physics;

observational amateur astronomy;

surf the internet, mainly for local, national, and international news, and for sports;

watch DVD movies with my wife (we don't have a TV; mainly, but not exclusively, mystery movies)

read novels (mainly, but not exclusively, mystery novels).

My priorities with respect to this list change, depending on my mood, on my energy level, and on what my wife and daughter want to do.

Last edited:
Sophomore physics student here... I play video games when I can't handle studying anymore. Right now it's all about Skyrim; I like open RPGs usually.

I also have a few blogs that I keep track of (Wordpress and tumblr), and when I have time I like to program, though that's part of my school right now so I've been programming as LITTLE as possible. :p I'm usually a big reader when I have time but I haven't been able to since summer break ended.

I play Go.

Jim Kata said:
I play Go.

I go play.

I guess we're too old to go-go.

I've been a big classical-music fan since high school. Never learned to play an instrument, though, except for a semester of piano class when I was in college.

I'm also a train buff (hence my avatar).

Last edited:
seaofghosts said:
Sophomore physics student here... I play video games when I can't handle studying anymore. Right now it's all about Skyrim; I like open RPGs usually.
Skyrim for the win :biggrin:

Writing articles for my engineering blog, studying for grad courses, amusing my wife, playing with our cat, taking care of the house, rock-climbing once a week, and unfortunately playing the goddamn DIABLO 3.

I'm glad I'm not a PC gamer, SunnyBoyNY, because I wouldn't get anything done with Diablo 3 existing. At some point I want to try it, but I REALLY want it on XBox (and that's never going to happen).

WannabeNewton said:
Skyrim for the win :biggrin:

I'm so addicted it's not even funny. For a while there the music soundtrack haunted my dreams.

Jim Kata said:
I play Go.

I bought a Go board and a couple of books to learn over the summer, but it just never happened! My physics dept has chess and Go boards between classrooms, though, so I'm hoping that next semester I'll find someone to play with.

seaofghosts said:
I'm glad I'm not a PC gamer, SunnyBoyNY, because I wouldn't get anything done with Diablo 3 existing.

I went through my PC game phase before PC's existed. :blushing:

For a couple of years in grad school, I spent a lot of time on the Colossal Cave Adventure game on the physics department's PDP-10 and the VAX 11/780 which replaced it:

ADVENT_--_Will_Crowther%27s_original_version.png

seaofghosts said:
I bought a Go board and a couple of books to learn over the summer, but it just never happened! My physics dept has chess and Go boards between classrooms, though, so I'm hoping that next semester I'll find someone to play with.

Learning the rules of Go takes all of 5 minutes. Learning "all" the implications of the rules might take the next 50 years though.

I got quite addicted to Go at univserity, but I haven't played since then.

If you want to learn, start by playing on a 13x13 board not 19x19. On the full board, by the time game gets to the stage where a beginner can figure out what's going on, he/she will already be hopelessly defeated (unless playing another beginner, but that isn't the best way to learn except for the absolute basics).

Board games are becoming my main hobby. Video games are my entertainment, like how others would watch television, but board gaming is a hobby.

The game I play most is Arkham Horror; I run a weekly game at a local gaming store. Other games I enjoy include puerto rico and ticket to ride.

Some home improvement stuff, cutting/splitting firewood, sawing lumber (portable sawmill). The not-having-to-think so much activities are great stress relievers.

jtbell said:
I went through my PC game phase before PC's existed. :blushing:

For a couple of years in grad school, I spent a lot of time on the Colossal Cave Adventure game on the physics department's PDP-10 and the VAX 11/780 which replaced it:

ADVENT_--_Will_Crowther%27s_original_version.png

I am personally playing through planet fall right now! Its quite frustrating, but text based rpg's are the best!

I also longboard and ski whenever i can mooch a trip off one of my friends going.

I like playing Dungeons and Dragons every weekend. Well, technically it's Pathfinder, but Pathfinder is basically DnD3.5e+ or whatever. My group plays it as sort of a tactical minis game, in that we focus more on the combat rather than the roleplaying. Not to say we don't RP whatsoever, but we have a lot more fun with the fights.

The game has a lot of rules and there are *a lot* of monster out there, so things can get pretty complicated. It's challenging for me, especially, because I play a wizard so I have to come up with a finite list of spells each time we play. Can only cast each spell once, though I can make copies of a spell. So I have to pick and choose. Hmm fireball or see invisibility? It's enjoyable.

It's not a hobby, but an avocation. I am avoiding a pushy neighbor.

He said that he wanted to borrow my tractor/tiller combination to till his garlic bed, but it became painfully obvious that he wanted to use my equipment to till poorly-cleared former forest-land near the back of his property. I'm not going to let someone trash my Kubota that way, and told him that. Since then, his stories about how well-prepared that lot is have gotten more and more elaborate. I will never hand him the key to my tractor. If he smokes the clutch on the tiller-shaft, that is repairable. If he smokes the internal clutch, I will be buying the grand-daughter of the owner of that dealership a nice used car to take to college.

1. What are the potential health benefits of breadmaking as a hobby?

Breadmaking can have several potential health benefits, including stress relief, improved hand-eye coordination, and the consumption of whole grains and other nutritious ingredients.

2. How can breadmaking be a stressful hobby?

Breadmaking can be stressful due to the time and effort required to make a successful loaf, as well as the potential for mistakes or failures. Additionally, the pressure to produce a perfect loaf can add to the stress of the hobby.

3. Are there any potential risks or dangers associated with breadmaking as a hobby?

There are some potential risks associated with breadmaking, such as burns from hot ovens or cuts from sharp tools. It is important to take proper safety precautions and use caution when handling hot or sharp objects.

4. Can breadmaking be a cost-effective hobby?

Breadmaking can be a cost-effective hobby, as the ingredients and equipment needed are relatively inexpensive. However, it is important to consider the cost of specialized ingredients or equipment for more advanced recipes.

5. How can I improve my breadmaking skills?

To improve your breadmaking skills, it is important to practice regularly and try new recipes and techniques. You can also seek out online tutorials or classes, join a breadmaking community, and experiment with different ingredients and methods to find what works best for you.