Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are your hobbies?

1. Oct 8, 2012 #1
    What do you do for relaxation?

I don't relax. I'm stressed all the time.
    (I also make bread.)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2012 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

What is this thing you call "relaxation"?

I watch food tv, but I spend most of my time screaming at the poor tv set because the idiots are clueless, yet they're on tv getting paid to give out misinformation. AAAAARRGGGHH

I guess that's my relaxation.

4. Oct 8, 2012 #3
    Running, chess, music (playing and listening), and spending time with my wife.

5. Oct 9, 2012 #4

wolram

Gold Member

6. Oct 9, 2012 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

According to the link, Wellie wanging originated in a place called Upperthong. :eek:

<insert your own inappropriate comment here>

7. Oct 9, 2012 #6
    In case anyone doubts its existence.

Attached Files:

8. Oct 9, 2012 #7

jtbell

I see there's also a Netherthong and a Thongsbridge. :tongue2:

9. Oct 9, 2012 #8

cobalt124

Gold Member

Family time, learning stuff and reading stuff. Don't get enough.

I thought it was called Wellie Hoying.

For relaxation (not a hobby), I find physical labour (where you are given some work, left alone to do it, and have the satisfaction of completing it) relaxing e.g. dry stone walling.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  10. Oct 10, 2012 #9
    My understanding of the verb 'to wang' implies divesting yourself of the wanged item on a permanent basis. But I claim no expertise in Yorkshire dialect. I live on the West side of the Pennines.

11. Oct 10, 2012 #10

turbo

Gold Member

My main hobby is taking care of my dog. When my wife leaves in the morning, Duke comes into the bedroom and checks on me. Sometimes, he is quiet, but often he is noisy enough to wake me again, and I feel like I have to get out of bed. Then he heads out to his other bed in the living room and passes out, as quiet as a mouse.

Then it is walks so he can "do his business". He is quite particular about where he might defecate, so the walks are longer than one might expect.

12. Oct 10, 2012 #11
    My current hobby is building a house :P really time consuming.

13. Oct 10, 2012 #12

cobalt124

Gold Member

Yep, wang seems to be Yorkshire for "throw" (never heard of it), and hoy seems to be Geordie for "throw".

14. Oct 10, 2012 #13

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  15. Oct 12, 2012 #14

Drakkith

Astronomy, Astrophotography, video games.

16. Oct 12, 2012 #15
    Fine dining, TV, and reading are my main hobbies outside of school.

17. Oct 14, 2012 #16
    My hobby week:

33vkbgz.jpg

14l0jkm.jpg

18. Oct 15, 2012 #17
    For the past couple months my main hobby has been studying and working Math problems, but I also enjoy crocheting. I'm actually pretty good at it.

19. Oct 15, 2012 #18

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To have fun, I:

do things with my family (wife and six-year-old daughter) (e.g., my daughter and I are going skating on Friday);

read/work on physics;

observational amateur astronomy;

surf the internet, mainly for local, national, and international news, and for sports;

watch DVD movies with my wife (we don't have a TV; mainly, but not exclusively, mystery movies)

read novels (mainly, but not exclusively, mystery novels).

My priorities with respect to this list change, depending on my mood, on my energy level, and on what my wife and daughter want to do.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  20. Oct 15, 2012 #19
    Sophomore physics student here... I play video games when I can't handle studying anymore. Right now it's all about Skyrim; I like open RPGs usually.

I also have a few blogs that I keep track of (Wordpress and tumblr), and when I have time I like to program, though that's part of my school right now so I've been programming as LITTLE as possible. :p I'm usually a big reader when I have time but I haven't been able to since summer break ended.

21. Oct 15, 2012 #20
    I play Go.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook