What avenue of physics can a scientist in the Star Wars galaxy study?

What I’m looking for is some new avenue of physics for a scientist in the Star Wars galaxy to be studying. They probably know what dark matter and dark energy are since Starkiller Base is powered by it. I’m sure they know about how the universe began, why it’s expanding and what it’s fate is. I’m also sure they figured out why their is more matter than antimatter in the universe. They have plenty of tools to do this.

What is left for a physicist to wonder about. What can he study?

berkeman

Mentor
I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that all of the physicists in the Star Wars universe are female...

The Force, of course. I haven't seen any technology in Star Wars that either enhances or decreases/defends against the Force. It is (sadly, in my opinion) known that Force users have a large number of microscopic creatures inside of them, creatures with a name that should not be named :smile:.
Midichlorians.

Now, Star Wars is of course fiction and in my opinion science fantasy mixed with science fiction, but if we for the sake of argument assume the physics of Star Wars resemble the physics of the real world, then it could be argued that the Force ought to be a physical phenomenon since the use of it has an effect on the physical world. And I would put Star Wars biologists to work by thoroughly researching the microscopic creatures that should not be named. :smile:

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
What avenue of physics can a scientist in the Star Wars galaxy study? Meta-physics!

BWV

The Force, of course. I haven't seen any technology in Star Wars that either enhances or decreases/defends against the Force. It is (sadly, in my opinion) known that Force users have a large number of microscopic creatures inside of them, creatures with a name that should not be named :smile:.
Midichlorians.

Now, Star Wars is of course fiction and in my opinion science fantasy mixed with science fiction, but if we for the sake of argument assume the physics of Star Wars resemble the physics of the real world, then it could be argued that the Force ought to be a physical phenomenon since the use of it has an effect on the physical world. And I would put Star Wars biologists to work by thoroughly researching the microscopic creatures that should not be named. :smile:
Perhaps researching the interaction with the microbiome would be fruitful - perhaps the ‘dark side’ is just a difference of gut flora

Star Wars has FTL travel for over a thousand years. They’ve probably thought of just about everything but surely their has to be something next for them to study?

Typically every discovery gives you something new to question. an apple falls - why? it accelerates as it falls - why? the acceleration decreases as it approaches terminal velocity - why? the resistive force of air is proportional to V^2 - why? etcetera etcetera. No doubt by achieving faster than light travel, they have opened a whole field of anomalies, failed predictions and questions. the whole field of relativity would need to be rewritten to incorporate the effects of as-fast-as and faster-than light.

PeroK

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Star Wars has FTL travel for over a thousand years. They’ve probably thought of just about everything but surely their has to be something next for them to study?
A universal peace and harmony machine?

Do they know what comes after death in the Star Wars universe? if not, that might be worthy of study.

And depending on the basis for their FTL, there may be whole other dimensions to explore, including - presumably - different modes of physics.

RPinPA

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
They could work on more accurate weapons for Stormtroopers.

Also armor that can't be defeated by rock-wielding Ewoks.

Maybe they should brush up on military strategy before pursuing more big scientific projects....

Maybe, at FTL travel scientist will discover that "it's a trap"