What beat frequency will the observer detect?

In summary, when two trains emit whistles of the same frequency, 282 Hz, and one train is at rest while the other is traveling at 45 km/h away from an observer at rest, the beat frequency that the observer will detect is 10 Hz. This can be calculated using the formula F(listener behind) = F(source) * [v / v + v(source)]. The observer must take into account the velocity of both trains when calculating the beat frequency.
mortho

Homework Statement

Two trains emit whistles of the same frequency, 282 Hz. If one train is at rest and the other is traveling at 45 km/h away from an observer at rest, what beat frequency will the observer detect?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used listener behind formula and got an answer of 544 Hz because i doubled the Frequency source. The answer is wrong, please help me!Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you show your working out.

While i was waiting i looked over it again and this is what i did for another answer i got

F(listener behind)=F(of source) [v/v+v(source)]

I did one for each since there are two trains.
For the train on rest, i did F(listner behind)=282*[343/(343+0)] which is 282 Hz

For the train going 12.5 m/s i did, F(lb)=282*[343/(343+12.5)] and got 272 Hz

So then i subtracted 282-272 and got 10 Hz, is this the answer?

That's the one.

Thanks! I'm also having major trouble with an intensity problem, can you help me with that? Thanks!

What is a beat frequency?

A beat frequency is the difference between two frequencies that are being played or observed at the same time. It is perceived as a pulsing sound or vibration.

How is beat frequency calculated?

Beat frequency is calculated by subtracting the lower frequency from the higher frequency. For example, if one frequency is 500 Hz and the other is 550 Hz, the beat frequency would be 50 Hz.

What factors affect the beat frequency detected by an observer?

The beat frequency detected by an observer can be affected by the difference in frequencies, the amplitude of the frequencies, and the distance between the source of the frequencies and the observer.

How is beat frequency related to the Doppler effect?

Beat frequency is related to the Doppler effect because both phenomena involve changes in perceived frequency due to the relative motion between the source and the observer.

What is the practical application of beat frequency?

Beat frequency has practical applications in music and acoustics, as well as in medical imaging and radar technology. It is also used in tuning musical instruments and in studying the properties of sound waves.