What calculator should i get/use?

• Calculators
  • Thread starter i-like-maths
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculator
In summary, the Casio FX-85GT is a good calculator for GCSE Maths Higher, while the HP 20S and HP 48G are also suitable. However, the HP 50g is a better option if your dad is a fan of HP.
i-like-maths
I want to do GCSE Maths Higher this year and i have a selection of four calculators:
Casio FX-85GT
HP 20S
HP 48G
HP 50g (my dad is a fan of HP)
I was wondering whether I needed to get another, slightly more up-to-date one of just use one of the ones i have already got.
Could anybody help?

Computer science news on Phys.org
i-like-maths said:
I want to do GCSE Maths Higher this year and i have a selection of four calculators:
Casio FX-85GT
HP 20S
HP 48G
HP 50g (my dad is a fan of HP)
I was wondering whether I needed to get another, slightly more up-to-date one of just use one of the ones i have already got.
Could anybody help?
I'm loving my HP 42 on my Droid smartphone...

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/hp42-calculator-on-your-smartphone.871642/ :smile:

Would you be allowed to use it in exams, though, I wonder...

I don't have a phone and probably won't get one for the next five years.
Anyway, no mobile phones are allowed at school and aren't allowed in the exams.

Last edited:
While your Dad seems partial to Hp, have YOU actually used the Hp 48G or Hp 50G?
If you don't need to use a graphing calculator yet, I like the Hp 20s. I actually really like the Hp 20s. It is a solid, reliable, easy to use calculator with Hp quality. As far current pocket scientific calculators on the market today, you won't find better. It is an AOS calculator, you may want an EOS or DAL type calculator. I suspect your Casio is also AOS. You may want to buy a cheap Ti-30 multi-view or new Casio or Sharp as nearly all newer calculators offer EOS (Type in equation as it is shown in textbook).
As you get into higher math or you need some excuse to have better, the two graphing calculators your Dad has are two of the best (although the higher end Hp's are usually RPN). However, you may discover that you want the same calculator as your teachers and classmates ie a Ti something or other.

I have used both of those calculators and know the basics for them, and I have got instruction manuals too

only the 50g is RPN, and you can change it to scientific, the same format as the 48g. the 48g has 4 different modes with the same format.
if you want to use a 48g without buying one, get Droid48 off google play. same format and works much faster

1. What type of calculator is best for general use?

The best type of calculator for general use would be a scientific calculator. It has the basic arithmetic functions as well as more advanced functions like logarithms, trigonometry, and statistical calculations.

2. Should I get a graphing calculator or a scientific calculator?

It depends on your needs. If you are a student or professional in a field that requires graphing, such as math or science, a graphing calculator would be more useful. However, if you only need a calculator for basic calculations, a scientific calculator would suffice.

3. Are there any specific brands or models that are recommended for certain fields of study?

Yes, certain brands and models are known for their quality and functionality in specific fields. For example, the TI-84 Plus is popular among high school and college students for its graphing capabilities, while the HP 35s is popular among engineers for its advanced scientific functions.

4. Is it worth investing in a more expensive calculator?

It depends on your needs and usage. If you are a student or professional in a field that requires complex calculations, investing in a more expensive calculator with advanced functions may be worth it. However, if you only need a calculator for basic calculations, a more affordable one would suffice.

5. Can I use a calculator app on my phone instead of purchasing a physical calculator?

Yes, you can use a calculator app on your phone for basic calculations. However, keep in mind that most standardized tests and exams do not allow the use of phones or any other electronic devices, so it would be wise to have a physical calculator as well.