What makes HP 50G so complicated?

• Calculators
  • Thread starter oxyg3n520
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the choice between two graphing calculators, the TI-89 and the HP 50G, for a first year Computer Engineering student. The individual is leaning towards the HP 50G but has heard it is more complex to use due to its RPN system. However, the speaker argues that RPN is only seen as complicated by those who have not attempted manual calculations. The HP 50G has better hardware and more built-in mathematical functions, but may be less user-friendly.
oxyg3n520
Hi, I am a first year going to be declared Computer Engineering student major. I have never owned or used a graphing calculator before. After some research, I have came across the TI-89 and the HP 50G. I seem to like the HP 50G one better, but many people say that the HP 50G may be too "complex" to use. I want to know why this is true? And also, people say that the RPN system is what makes the hp 50g complicated. But can you choose to not use the RPN mode and use it in a mode as a regular calculator?

Thanks so much!
Oxyg3n520:smile:

Computer science news on Phys.org
Nothing complicated in RPN. It is called complicated only by those that never spent even a minute trying to calculate value of an expression by hand, as in both cases the same kind of analysis (where do I start calculation?) is required.

The HP is less user-friendly but has better hardware and more built-in mathematical functions out of the box.

1. What makes the HP 50G different from other scientific calculators?

The HP 50G is different from other scientific calculators because it has a more complex operating system and a larger memory capacity. It also has an extensive library of built-in functions and supports programming languages, making it a powerful tool for advanced calculations and data analysis.

2. Why is the HP 50G considered complicated?

The HP 50G is considered complicated because it has a steep learning curve compared to other calculators. It has a multitude of functions and features that may be overwhelming for new users. Additionally, its complex operating system requires some time to understand and master.

3. Can the HP 50G be used by non-scientists?

Yes, the HP 50G can be used by non-scientists, but it may not be the most user-friendly option. Its advanced features and complex operating system may be unnecessary for everyday calculations, making it more suitable for professionals and students in the fields of mathematics, engineering, and science.

4. How do I learn to use the HP 50G effectively?

The best way to learn to use the HP 50G effectively is to read the user manual and practice using the calculator regularly. There are also many online tutorials and forums where users can share tips and tricks for using the HP 50G. It may take some time and patience, but with practice, you can become proficient in using the calculator.

5. Are there any alternatives to the HP 50G that are less complicated?

Yes, there are many alternatives to the HP 50G that are less complicated, such as the TI-84 Plus and Casio fx-9750GII. These calculators have a simpler interface and may be more suitable for basic calculations and school-level mathematics. However, they may not have the same level of advanced features and functions as the HP 50G.