What Came First the Magnet or the Field?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of quantum field theory and whether fields or particles are more fundamental. According to the theory, fields are considered to be the building blocks of nature, with particles being excitations of these fields. The discussion also touches on the relationship between fields and particles, and the role of changes in one causing changes in the other. Ultimately, the question of which is more fundamental remains open for debate.
Dadface
Below I paraphrase David Tong from:

David Tong -- What is Quantum Field Theory? You can find this by googling.

1. "According to our best laws of physics the fundamental building blocks of nature are fields."

2." Every particle in the universe ... is a tiny ripple of the underlying field"

According to basic school physics if we move the magnet we move the field. But it seems that according to QFT it's sort of the other way round and to move the magnet we must move the field. The only way I can think of moving the field is by moving something else, for example moving a second magnet. It's a bit chicken and egg.

So is the field more fundamental than the particles of the magnet? Or, perhaps, should particles and fields share equal dominance as being considered as fundamental?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dadface said:
. But it seems that according to QFT it's sort of the other way round and to move the magnet we must move the field.

How on Earth did you get that?

Vanadium 50 said:
How on Earth did you get that?
I got it from the article I referred to where it was stated that fields (not particles) are the "fundamental building blocks of nature".. One way I see of interpreting that is to assume that to make changes to the particles you need to make changes to the fields. But traditionally it's the other way round which is to make changes to the fields you need to make changes to the particles eg move the magnet. I imagine particles and fields as being interlinked as a particle/field construct and I can't see why one aspect of that construct, namely the field aspect should be considered as being more fundamental than the other aspect.

Sorry I tried to include a link but it didn't work.

In QFT, the magnet is also made from fields.

atyy said:
In QFT, the magnet is also made from fields.

And particles.

Dadface said:
And particles.

Particles are excitations of fields.

Dadface said:
And particles.
the 'magnet' and the 'magnetic field' are different things, so they are described with different fields.

atyy said:
Particles are excitations of fields.

Changes in fields can cause changes in particles.
Changes in particles can cause changes in fields.
What came first?

Ben Wilson said:
the 'magnet' and the 'magnetic field' are different things, so they are described with different fields.
Not sure about the point being made. What of the two different fields describes the magnetic field?

Dadface said:
Not sure about the point being made. What of the two different fields describes the magnetic field?
two fields do not describe the magnetic field. the magnetic field is ONE field, the magnetic field. however, with your taking about a magnet and a magnetic field: particles are electron* and photon, fields are electron and electromagnetic respectively.

*for example

Dadface said:
Changes in fields can cause changes in particles.
Changes in particles can cause changes in fields.
What came first?
no that's a sloppy description of what's going on, particles are excitations of a quantum field.

Ben Wilson said:

Ben Wilson said:
two fields do not describe the magnetic field. the magnetic field is ONE field, the magnetic field. however, with your taking about a magnet and a magnetic field: particles are electron* and photon, fields are electron and electromagnetic respectively.

*for example
It was you who suggested that the magnetic field is described by a field (post 7). That was unclear but now you've cleared it up. But I still don't see the relevance of your comments.

Dadface said:
It was you who suggested that the magnetic field is described by a field (post 7). That was unclear but now you've cleared it up. But I still don't see the relevance of your comments.
when you move the magnet what particles are you moving?

Ben Wilson said:
no that's a sloppy description of what's going on, particles are excitations of a quantum field.
I'm not disagreeing that particles can be described as excitations of the field. I quoted David Tongs description of a particle in post one and I did not dispute atyy's definition, which is worded in the same way as yours in post six. So to make it clear I am not disputing anything about QFT. In fact I don't know enough about it yet to be able to do that.
What I am questioning is the assumption that fields are more fundamental than particles. And I am doing that by reference to changes. So why is my reference to changes in post 8 an example of sloppy thinking? Please take another look at post one.

Dadface said:
I'm not disagreeing that particles can be described as excitations of the field. I quoted David Tongs description of a particle in post one and I did not dispute atyy's definition, which is worded in the same way as yours in post six. So to make it clear I am not disputing anything about QFT. In fact I don't know enough about it yet to be able to do that.
What I am questioning is the assumption that fields are more fundamental than particles. And I am doing that by reference to changes. So why is my reference to changes in post 8 an example of sloppy thinking? Please take another look at post one.
I do not mean sloppy thinking, just a sloppy description in an academic sense, i.e. not very pedantic or precise. I'm saying that when these things are more clear and defined, the chicken and egg problem goes away in my view.

Ben Wilson said:
when you move the magnet what particles are you moving?
To a large extent that depends on the system within which the magnet is moved.

Dadface said:
To a lsrge extent that depends on the system within which the magnet is moved.
I'm asking you what particles the 'magnet', e.g. an iron bar magnet, is made of? its electrons, which are not excitations of the magnetic field, but they do 'cause' the magnetic field in some physical sense.

Likes dlgoff
Ben Wilson said:
I'm asking you what partices the 'magnet', e.g. a simple bar magnet, is made of.
I think we both know the answer to that but what's the point of the question?

Will be back here later on.

Dadface said:
Below I paraphrase David Tong from:

David Tong -- What is Quantum Field Theory? You can find this by googling.

1. "According to our best laws of physics the fundamental building blocks of nature are fields."

2." Every particle in the universe ... is a tiny ripple of the underlying field"

According to basic school physics if we move the magnet we move the field. But it seems that according to QFT it's sort of the other way round and to move the magnet we must move the field. The only way I can think of moving the field is by moving something else, for example moving a second magnet. It's a bit chicken and egg.

So is the field more fundamental than the particles of the magnet? Or, perhaps, should particles and fields share equal dominance as being considered as fundamental?
You can move the magnet by means other than the magnetic field maybe? A magnet contains charges, which although in motion, might perhaps be moved by an electric field?

tech99 said:
You can move the magnet by means other than the magnetic field maybe? A magnet contains charges, which although in motion, might perhaps be moved by an electric field?
Yes there are different ways of moving the magnet.

Dadface said:
Yes there are different ways of moving the magnet.
what particles are your magnets made of? If you pick somethin then i can explain the qft behind it and answer your question

Ben Wilson said:
what particles are your magnets made of? If you pick somethin then i can explain the qft behind it and answer your question
Lets go with up and down quarks and electrons.

Dadface said:
Just focusing on the one important particle for magnetic fields out of those, electrons are excitations of an electric field. Interacting electrons exchange photons between each other and even themselves because the dynamics of the electron field is coupled with the electromagnetic field in a QED. Photons are excitations of the electromagnetic field. If you move the 'magnet', you will move the electrons. The electrons will interact through the electromagnetic interaction in the new place, giving excitations of the em field.

magnets rarely use nuclei as their magnetic moment is thousands of times smaller than electrons, however MRI scanners utilize the magnetic properties of nuclei.

Dadface said:
you say to move the magnet we must move the field. Now you have to distinguish between em(magnetic) field or electron field.

Dadface said:
According to basic school physics if we move the magnet we move the field. But it seems that according to QFT it's sort of the other way round and to move the magnet we must move the field.

No, according to QFT moving the magnet is moving the field. Everything is fields--you are fields, so when you move the magnet it is fields moving fields.

You need to stop and seriously think about what "fields are the fundamental building blocks of everything" actually means.

Likes bhobba and Demystifier
Dadface said:
What you fail to understand is that electric and magnetic field are not the only fields out there. There is also quark field, electron field, etc. The world is not made of particles and fields. Instead, according to QFT, the world is made of fields. It doesn't mean that particles do not exist. They do, but they are made of fields too.

Likes dlgoff
Thank you everyone who commented but before I reply to specific comments may I please ask you to look again at my original post..

Dadface said:
may I please ask you to look again at my original post..

I think that you should look at it again. It seems that you completely don't uderstand what "particles are excitations of fileds" imply.

Likes bhobba and Demystifier
Demystifier said:
What you fail to understand is that electric and magnetic field are not the only fields out there. There is also quark field, electron field, etc. The world is not made of particles and fields. Instead, according to QFT, the world is made of fields. It doesn't mean that particles do not exist. They do, but they are made of fields too.

I know from my comments it may seem that I don't know about other fields but I do. At odd times during the last few weeks I've been reading up on the subject. In the article I referred to David Tong stated:

"The most familiar example of fields are the electric and magnetic field."

I used the example of a magnet because it's familiar.

PeterDonis said:
No, according to QFT moving the magnet is moving the field. Everything is fields--you are fields, so when you move the magnet it is fields moving fields.

That's fine. I'm not disagreeing with the theory at all. Moving the magnet moves the field. but that can also be described as moving the magnet moves the particles. And fields moving fields can be described as particles moving particles.You need to stop and seriously think about what "fields are the fundamental building blocks of everything" actually means.

I have thought seriously about it and I am still doing so. Consider the following part statement from David Tong:

"Every particle is a ripple of the underlying field."

From this, in my imagination and depending what the field is, I see ripples as particles. For example for one type of field I can see electrons. And I see that the electrons have certain properties which can be measured. And I see that the electrons can be moved and that there are various ways of doing this. I could go on but in summary I am fairly confident in saying that we can make observations on those areas of the underlying field where there are ripples in other words observations on particles. And we can make most (if not all) of these observations without any knowledge of the non ripply parts of the field, or indeed any knowledge of QFT.

But my imagination spreads to other areas of the underlying field where there are no ripples. And here I get stuck. If the non ripply parts have properties how do we make observations on those properties without making reference to, or observations about, the ripply parts? It can seem that the observations we can make on the ripply parts, the particles, can be made without recourse to observations on the non ripply parts. But it doesn't work the other way round.

Now if we go right back to basics we should remember that all theories are based on observations and if a theory is any good it should conform to observations. Observations are the starting point of every theory and as far as QFT is concerned observations are made on the particles, the ripply parts, not on the non ripply parts. So I would suggest that from a point of view of what it is possible to observe, particle properties are fundamental .We can observe particle properties without recourse to QFT.

weirdoguy said:
I think that you should look at it again. It seems that you completely don't uderstand what "particles are excitations of fileds" imply.
What gave you that impression?

Dadface said:
From this, in my imagination and depending what the field is, I see ripples as particles. For example for one type of field I can see electrons. And I see that the electrons have certain properties which can be measured. And I see that the electrons can be moved and that there are various ways of doing this. I could go on but in summary I am fairly confident in saying that we can make observations on those areas of the underlying field where there are ripples in other words observations on particles. And we can make most (if not all) of these observations without any knowledge of the non ripply parts of the field, or indeed any knowledge of QFT.

This part is incorrect, which is why you get stuck at the next part.

Dadface said:
I have thought seriously about it and I am still doing so. Consider the following part statement from David Tong:

"Every particle is a ripple of the underlying field."

But my imagination spreads to other areas of the underlying field where there are no ripples. And here I get stuck. If the non ripply parts have properties how do we make observations on those properties without making reference to, or observations about, the ripply parts? It can seem that the observations we can make on the ripply parts, the particles, can be made without recourse to observations on the non ripply parts. But it doesn't work the other way round.

Now if we go right back to basics we should remember that all theories are based on observations and if a theory is any good it should conform to observations. Observations are the starting point of every theory and as far as QFT is concerned observations are made on the particles, the ripply parts, not on the non ripply parts. So I would suggest that from a point of view of what it is possible to observe, particle properties are fundamental .We can observe particle properties without recourse to QFT.

Ben Wilson said:
This part is incorrect, which is why you get stuck at the next part.

I know you're trying to be helpful and I'm grateful for that but I can't see what you think is wrong with the first paragraph of the post. Let me summarise and break the paragraph down:

1. Ripples in the field are particles
2. In one type of field electrons are the particles.
3. Electrons have properties that can be measured
4. Electrons can be moved.
5. We are able to make observations on electrons without any knowledge of QFT

What's wrong with it?
Thank you

Dadface said:
I know you're trying to be helpful and I'm grateful for that but I can't see what you think is wrong with the first paragraph of the post. Let me summarise and break the paragraph down:

1. Ripples in the field are particles
2. In one type of field electrons are the particles.
3. Electrons have properties that can be measured
4. Electrons can be moved.
5. We are able to make observations on electrons without any knowledge of QFT

What's wrong with it?
Thank you

1. Particles are excitations of a field.
2. Electrons are excitations of the electron field.
3. These Excitations display themselves as physical phenomena that we can observe.
4. How can you move a single electron?
5. What observations do you mean?

Also QFT is deeply layered, and doesn't translate well into analogies like ripples in sheets.

Last edited:
Likes Dadface