What can be done with old computer equipment?

• Thread starter Tom McCurdy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computers
In summary, the conversation discusses the disposal of old computer equipment at a math and science center, and the speaker is seeking ideas for what to do with the equipment. Suggestions include selling components on eBay, setting up a Linux beowulf cluster, using the computers as a PVR, or donating them to a developing country. There is also a debate about the benefits of learning Windows networking versus Linux/Unix networking.
Tom McCurdy said:
I am getting lost in the discussion are people debating on whether or not a 12 Power Computing mac beowulf cluster would be worth setting up?

Philocrazy might, but I'm just asking about clusters in general.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Basically, if all you're after is learning how clustering works then go for it. If you're after performance, don't even bother.

Who is paying for all the electrons needed to power this daughter of Frankenstein??
:-)

Hehehe Mom and Dad

Tom McCurdy said:
Hehehe Mom and Dad

always good.

I just got another hard drive so that i can add two more operating systems to my computer, which they were kind enough to cover for me. :biggrin:

I think it's more work than it's worth to make a cluster with that unless it's simply to learn how clusters work. However 2 other uses comes to mind.

1.) If the hard drives are still useful you can set them up as file servers.

2.) Since one of the most popular games in the world was made for a machine of those specs you can make a big Starcraft LAN and invite your buddies.

FulhamFan3 said:
2.) Since one of the most popular games in the world was made for a machine of those specs you can make a big Starcraft LAN and invite your buddies.

*shakes head*

People still play starcraft?

Its not that good a game, its really not.

franznietzsche said:
*shakes head*

People still play starcraft?

Its not that good a game, its really not.

Go to south korea and try to find someone that doesn't play starcraft. Is it really starcraft you don't like or the strategy game genre in general?

FulhamFan3 said:
Go to south korea and try to find someone that doesn't play starcraft. Is it really starcraft you don't like or the strategy game genre in general?

I don't consider starcraft strategy, its all simply micromanagement.

I love strategy games, real strategy games anyway. I'm a serious Total war addict for one. Any game in the starcraft engine (including the age of ------ series) is not really strategy though. Or at most, its unrealistic strategy. I like the total war games that really allow for some strategic innovation in battlefield tactics (well, not everyone innovates, but its possible at least).

FulhamFan3 said:
I think it's more work than it's worth to make a cluster with that unless it's simply to learn how clusters work. However 2 other uses comes to mind.

1.) If the hard drives are still useful you can set them up as file servers.

Would it be worth all that effort for a whole bunch of 2 gig hard drives

Also if I were to sell the computers would I be able to make more money if I took off all the old mac OS and loaded say gentoo onto them all?

hahahaha. You expect to compile gentoo on those old machines. You'll be luckly if you can finish by the end of next year. :smile:

personally, I don't think you'll get much for the complete system. Your better off selling the components individually.

dduardo said:
hahahaha. You expect to compile gentoo on those old machines. You'll be luckly if you can finish by the end of next year. :smile:

personally, I don't think you'll get much for the complete system. Your better off selling the components individually.
How can you compile gentoo ?

-Christophe Messiana

If you had a large number of microprocessors in series and a large number of identical problems, you could build a system to step the problems through with a gain in processing time. For example if a single data set can be run through a single processor in ten seconds, break the problem into ten sections each requiring one second in a dedicated processor. To run one set through the series of ten processors still requires ten seconds, but if you keep feeding data in, pretty soon you will be getting answers output every one second.

The FAA developed such a system with the assistance of MIT back in the 1980s using about twenty series connected microprocessors to predict air traffic. The goal was to schedule takeoff times so that the aircraft did not have to orbit around their destination waiting for a opening to land. It was called the Enhanced Traffic Management System (ETMS).

Parallel connected microprocessors are more limited in utility unless you are dealing with irrational numbers a thousand digits long. Modern ciphers use non-repeating series of numbers such as pi to encrypt messages. Since the cipher cracker does not know which irrational number has been used and what portion of the numerical sequence to use, a square matrix of processors would be useful. The X-axis could step the numerical series through while the Y-axis could step the message through and look for repetitive sequences.