What can happen if I have an infringement?

• Thread starter FredericChopin
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the question of what happens when someone accumulates infractions on a forum. The response states that nothing happens by default until a certain number of points is reached, which can result in a temporary or permanent ban. The difference between notifications and infractions is explained, with notifications being purely informational and infractions having penalties associated with them. The yellow dot beside a notification indicates that it has expired, while red means danger. The conversation also touches on the importance of following forum rules and using standard font, and concludes with the advice to consider oneself in trouble if they have multiple notices and infractions.
FredericChopin
Recently, I received two infringements because I double posted and apparently, my post belonged to the "Homework" section (by the way, it was definitely not a homework-styled question. And besides, I'm still a newbie. But whatever; that's beside the point :rolleyes:).

What I'm wondering is, what can happen if I have infringements? Will it limit and prevent me, for example, from doing certain things?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing happens (by default anyway) until you accumulate enough non-expired infraction points that you get banned. 8 points for a temporary 10-day ban, 10 points for a permanent one.

Note that "notifications" (as opposed to "infractions") don't have points or penalties associated with them. They're purely informational in nature. Your "infringements" so far are "notifications."

jtbell said:
Nothing happens (by default anyway) until you accumulate enough non-expired infraction points that you get banned. 8 points for a temporary 10-day ban, 10 points for a permanent one.

Note that "notifications" (as opposed to "infractions") don't have points or penalties associated with them. They're purely informational in nature. Your "infringements" so far are "notifications."

Thank you. I just noticed that there is an expiry date to my notification, which is good.

I have another question though: How can you tell the difference between a notification and an infraction? Also, what does the yellow dot beside my notification mean?

Last edited by a moderator:
FredericChopin said:

Thank you. I just noticed that there is an expiry date to my notification, which is good.

I have another question though: How can you tell the difference between a notification and an infraction? Also, what does the yellow dot beside my notification mean?

Yellow means that it's an "information" or that your warning expired. Red means danger. How many red do you have?

Oh, you get an automatic ban if you reach 8 and 10 warnings. However, you may still be banned with less than 8 warnings. If you show a "bad attitude" (that means, if your personality is not likeable, i think?) you may get a voting to ban you.

EDIT: Also, may I suggest you write with the default font type? The one you use is a little harder to read and I see no point in using it.

Last edited:
Please read the forum rules.

And yes, please don't use non standard font. No need for that and it makes your posts harder to read.

FredericChopin said:
How can you tell the difference between a notification and an infraction?

The first kind says either "Notice" or "Warning", either in the subject line or in the body of the message, and either says zero points or doesn't mention points at all. They have an expiration date, but that's meaningless because they don't "do" anything except leave a copy of the message in your record for our future reference.

The second kind says "Infraction" either in the subject line or in the body of the message and mentions a number of points somewhere. The points expire on the expiration date, but a copy of the message remains in your record for our future reference.

Likes 1 person
Crake said:
Yellow means that it's an "information" or that your warning expired. Red means danger. How many red do you have?

Oh, you get an automatic ban if you reach 8 and 10 warnings. However, you may still be banned with less than 8 warnings. If you show a "bad attitude" (that means, if your personality is not likeable, i think?) you may get a voting to ban you.

EDIT: Also, may I suggest you write with the default font type? The one you use is a little harder to read and I see no point in using it.

Currentlty i have 3 yellow and 3 red.Does that mean that if i get 2 more i am in trouble.

smart_worker said:
Currentlty i have 3 yellow and 3 red.Does that mean that if i get 2 more i am in trouble.

When you have that many Notices and Infractions, you should consider yourself as already in trouble. Reaching the point of no-return is too late to start considering that you are in trouble.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
When you have that many Notices and Infractions, you should consider yourself as already in trouble. Reaching the point of no-return is too late to start considering that you are in trouble.

okay

As a general rule, if you have to ask if you're in trouble, the answer is "yes".

1. What is an infringement?

An infringement, in scientific terms, refers to the unauthorized use or replication of someone else's original work or idea without their permission or proper citation.

2. What can happen if I have an infringement?

If you are found guilty of having an infringement, you may face legal consequences such as fines, injunctions, and even imprisonment in some cases.

3. How can an infringement affect my reputation?

An infringement can negatively impact your reputation as a scientist, as it shows a lack of respect for intellectual property and can damage your credibility and trustworthiness in the scientific community.

4. What are the consequences for a company or institution if an infringement occurs?

If a company or institution is responsible for an infringement, they may face legal action and financial penalties, as well as damage to their reputation and potential loss of partnerships and collaborations.

5. Is there a way to avoid infringements?

Yes, there are several ways to avoid infringements. These include obtaining proper permissions and licenses for the use of copyrighted material, giving credit to original sources, and conducting thorough research to ensure your work is original.