Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What can happen if I have an infringement?

1. Nov 2, 2013 #1
    Recently, I received two infringements because I double posted and apparently, my post belonged to the "Homework" section (by the way, it was definitely not a homework-styled question. And besides, I'm still a newbie. But whatever; that's beside the point :rolleyes:).

What I'm wondering is, what can happen if I have infringements? Will it limit and prevent me, for example, from doing certain things?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2013 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Nothing happens (by default anyway) until you accumulate enough non-expired infraction points that you get banned. 8 points for a temporary 10-day ban, 10 points for a permanent one.

Note that "notifications" (as opposed to "infractions") don't have points or penalties associated with them. They're purely informational in nature. Your "infringements" so far are "notifications."

4. Nov 2, 2013 #3
    Thank you. I just noticed that there is an expiry date to my notification, which is good.

I have another question though: How can you tell the difference between a notification and an infraction? Also, what does the yellow dot beside my notification mean?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2013
  5. Nov 2, 2013 #4
    Yellow means that it's an "information" or that your warning expired. Red means danger. How many red do you have?

Oh, you get an automatic ban if you reach 8 and 10 warnings. However, you may still be banned with less than 8 warnings. If you show a "bad attitude" (that means, if your personality is not likeable, i think?) you may get a voting to ban you.

EDIT: Also, may I suggest you write with the default font type? The one you use is a little harder to read and I see no point in using it.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  6. Nov 2, 2013 #5

Borek

Please read the forum rules.

And yes, please don't use non standard font. No need for that and it makes your posts harder to read.

7. Nov 2, 2013 #6

jtbell

The first kind says either "Notice" or "Warning", either in the subject line or in the body of the message, and either says zero points or doesn't mention points at all. They have an expiration date, but that's meaningless because they don't "do" anything except leave a copy of the message in your record for our future reference.

The second kind says "Infraction" either in the subject line or in the body of the message and mentions a number of points somewhere. The points expire on the expiration date, but a copy of the message remains in your record for our future reference.

8. Apr 4, 2014 #7
    Currentlty i have 3 yellow and 3 red.Does that mean that if i get 2 more i am in trouble.

9. Apr 4, 2014 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

When you have that many Notices and Infractions, you should consider yourself as already in trouble. Reaching the point of no-return is too late to start considering that you are in trouble.

Zz.

10. Apr 4, 2014 #9
    okay

11. Apr 4, 2014 #10

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

As a general rule, if you have to ask if you're in trouble, the answer is "yes".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook