What would happen if I pinch my nose while I sneeze?

• Thread starter pctopgs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Medical
pctopgs
TL;DR Summary
I'm curious what would happen if I pinch my nose while I sneeze
hey everyone,

I currently have an ear infection. I'm watching to see if it gets better and it seems like yesterday was the worst of it. Today it's better: I can completely clinch my jaw with minimal pain. I think I'll be ok by Tuesday, but I'm curious about something.

I'm curious what would happen if I pinch my nose while I sneeze, forcing the air through the Eustachian tube? From what I understand, the Eustachian is supposed to relieve air pressure in the ear and drain fluids to the nasal cavity. Normally when I pinch my nose when I sneeze, I get a lot of pressure in my ears because the Eustachian would carry the air that would have gone through my nose to the middle ear. Now that I have an air infection I don't want to risk more injury, but I'm curious as to what would theoretically happen.

Thanks!

Biology news on Phys.org
pctopgs said:
I'm curious what would happen if I pinch my nose while I sneeze
PInching your nose is OK, but do NOT keep your mouth closed. You would blow your head off !

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes BillTre, Vanadium 50 and Greg Bernhardt
The pressure has to be released somewhere and it likely won't be an optimal or designed area.

Likes pinball1970 and BillTre
pctopgs said:
Now that I have an air infection I don't want to risk more injury
Wise...

pctopgs said:
I'm curious as to what would theoretically happen.
To do that is advised against in case of any nasal infection (and in general, in any case) since it may send not just air but 'stuff' towards your middle ear, so easy to make an ear infection from a nasal one.
It's result is a slightly higher pressure in the ear cavity, usually relieved shortly after the 'event' by natural means.
Also quite inconvenient, by the way. Sometimes painful too.

Though forcing air through the Eustachian tube (well, not by sneezing) and make the sync of internal and external pressure easyer during rapid descent/ascent is a common practice (with similar dangers, of course).

Last edited:
There is an old joke about how to tell if someone is wearing panty hose: their ankles puff when they sneeze....

ok maybe it wasn't sneeze...

Last edited:

1. Is it safe to pinch my nose while sneezing?

No, it is not safe to pinch your nose while sneezing. Doing so can create excessive pressure in your nasal passages and sinuses, potentially leading to damage such as ruptured eardrums or sinus issues.

2. Why do people feel the urge to pinch their nose when sneezing?

People might pinch their nose during a sneeze to prevent the expulsion of mucus and germs, or to avoid making noise. However, it's a natural reflex to sneeze openly to expel irritants from the nasal passages efficiently.

3. What are the potential consequences of pinching your nose while sneezing?

Pinching your nose while sneezing can lead to various complications such as pain or discomfort in the ears, sinus headaches, or even more severe issues like a ruptured eardrum or sinusitis if done frequently.

4. Can pinching your nose while sneezing affect your hearing?

Yes, pinching your nose while sneezing can temporarily affect your hearing by increasing the pressure in your ears. In severe cases, this can lead to a ruptured eardrum, which can cause hearing loss and requires medical treatment.

5. What should I do instead of pinching my nose when I feel a sneeze coming?

Instead of pinching your nose, it's advisable to sneeze into a tissue or your elbow. This method helps contain the spread of germs without risking injury to your ears or sinuses. Always ensure to wash your hands after sneezing to maintain hygiene.