What can one specialize in for a MS/PhD in Mathematics?

• Programs
  • Thread starter smize
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary: I just remembered I am actually going to a University now so I can use their library! Yeah, I'm not used to having access to books in math/physics. My town library is a bit small, and usually have to use inter library loan to get books like these. Thanks for the reminder!
smize
What is a list of areas of focus for Masters/PhD pursuers for Mathematics? What has the best future prospect for careers?

Physics news on Phys.org
smize said:
What is a list of areas of focus for Masters/PhD pursuers for Mathematics?

All of them.

smize said:
What has the best future prospect for careers?

Probably statistics or numerical analysis.Your question is too vague! Try to be more specific and people will be able to help you. Don't expect people to put more effort into their replies that you put into your question.

espen180 said:
Your question is too vague! Try to be more specific and people will be able to help you. Don't expect people to put more effort into their replies that you put into your question.

I do not know what the areas of focus are for Mathematics. A link to an outside source would be amazing, but I do not know how to expand upon the question. I am primarily interested in Pure Mathematics though. I want to know if it's worth me going into mathematics (to see if I'll enjoy it in the long run).

Mathematics can be loosely divided four main branches, called algebra, topology, analysis and geometry. They have a lot of overlap, and each has many subfields, almost all of which are under active research.

To begin with, you should find out which of those four you like best. Then you should start thinking about a specialization. The only way to make such a decision is to take courses in all of them and find out which you like.

To get a feel for each, browsing Wikipedia goes a long way. Try reading these and clicking the links to go more in depth.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Areas_of_mathematics

I have also listed some elementary books to get you started, assuming you know some calculus and linear algebra. Some of the books are harder then others (Here, especially Munkres). I tried to put them roughly in order of difficulty.

"The elements" by Euclid (free on the web)
"Elementary number theory" by Burton
"Calculus" by Spivak.
"A first course in abstract algebra" by Fraleigh
"Topology" by Munkres

Thank-you very much Espen :D That should help. When I get some spare money, I'll work on getting those books.

smize said:
Thank-you very much Espen :D That should help. When I get some spare money, I'll work on getting those books.
Library cards are free

jk said:
Library cards are free

I just remembered I am actually going to a University now so I can use their library! Yeah, I'm not used to having access to books in math/physics. My town library is a bit small, and usually have to use inter library loan to get books like these. Thanks for the reminder!

What can I specialize in for a MS/PhD in Mathematics?

There are many different areas of mathematics that you can specialize in for a MS/PhD degree. Some common specializations include algebra, analysis, geometry, topology, applied mathematics, and statistics. You can also choose to specialize in a specific application of mathematics, such as finance, cryptography, or computer science.

What is the difference between a MS and a PhD in Mathematics?

A MS (Master of Science) in Mathematics is typically a 2-year program that focuses on coursework and may include a research project or thesis. A PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) in Mathematics is a longer program, generally taking 4-6 years, and involves more advanced coursework, comprehensive exams, and a significant research project or dissertation.

Do I need to have a specific undergraduate degree to pursue a MS/PhD in Mathematics?

No, you do not necessarily need a specific undergraduate degree to pursue a MS/PhD in Mathematics. However, it is helpful to have a strong foundation in mathematics and related fields, such as computer science, physics, or engineering. Some programs may also have specific prerequisites, so it is important to research the requirements of the programs you are interested in.

What kind of job opportunities are available with a MS/PhD in Mathematics?

There are many job opportunities available for those with a MS/PhD in Mathematics, both in academia and industry. Some common career paths include research and teaching positions at universities, data analysis and research positions in government agencies or private companies, and roles in finance, consulting, or technology companies. With a PhD, you may also have the opportunity to lead your own research projects and publish your findings.

What skills are important for success in a MS/PhD program in Mathematics?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills are crucial for success in a MS/PhD program in Mathematics. It is also important to have a solid understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques, as well as the ability to think abstractly and logically. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important, as you may need to collaborate with other researchers or present your findings to others. Additionally, having a strong work ethic and being able to manage your time effectively are important for completing coursework and research projects on time.