1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computer Science PhD with Mathematics MSc

1. Dec 6, 2015 #1
    Hello,

If I have an MSc degree in mathematics specializing in machine learning, is it possible to enter a PhD program in computer science (also specializing in machine learning)? Will the fact that my degree is in mathematics and not computer science prevent me from doing that? I have heard of people (in my city, a few years ago) who did a degree in mathematics and then did a graduate degree in a different field (like electrical engineering with cryptography focus or economics, without any degree in that other field), so this seems to be possible. How easy/difficult would it be to get into the CS PhD program (considering my area of specialty is the same)?

In addition, what are the differences in employability for a computer science PhD and a mathematics PhD, with both of them being in machine learning? Is one degree or the other preferred by different sectors?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2015 #2
    You should contact the specific schools you are considering. Entrance requirements vary for PhD programs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook