What causes trichoptlosis? How to get rid of it?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
In summary, split ends are caused by damage to the cuticle, which may be caused by various things. Prevention includes avoiding damage, and using scissor to remove damaged hair. There is a simple cure for split ends, but it's best to prevent them in the first place.
Lisa!
Gold Member
What causes trichoptlosis?How to get rid of it? What to do to avoid this trouble?

Biology news on Phys.org
You mean split ends :smile:
Hair and follicle "anatomy" http://dermatology.about.com/cs/hairanatomy/a/hairbiology.htm

Split ends result from damage to the outer shingle-like layer - the cuticle. Exposure to chemicals (e.g., bleach, dye, swimming in chlorinated water), heavy brushing/hot air drying, medications, and loss of sebum (natural lanolin-like substance) all may cause cuticle damage. Women produce less sebum as they age and all things being equal will experience drier hair with more split ends as they age.

As to prevention, the causes give us an idea. Bleach, dye, and even shampoo will exascerbate the problem. I lived on a reservation for years. The older women there almost never used shampoo. Virtually no split ends. The young women had modernized hair care and had split ends like the rest of the Western World. Adding back sebum helps. This gets into cosmetology

Since living better thru chemistry proably caused the problem, then living better thru chemistry has a solution, too. But I don't have recommendations. A lot of cosmetology places have expensive "unguents and punguents" for problem hair. They must work to some degree or the places would never sell Paul Mitchell, Nexus, Sally Beauty Supply, etc.

Split ends are normal, by the way, especially as you age, Lisa.

Thank you very much! :smile:

There's a very simple cure for split ends...scissors. :biggrin: There is no other way to "repair" split ends, so the only other option lies in prevention. Aside from the things Jim already mentioned, avoiding brushing wet hair helps, and avoiding things like curling irons (he already mentioned blow dryers).

MB - too much surgical training? :smile: If it sticks out or is not esthetically right, whack it off. "Plastical" surgeons do that.

wacket auf == whackit off ? Sorry JS Bach... and any German speakers.

Moonbear said:
There's a very simple cure for split ends...scissors. :biggrin: There is no other way to "repair" split ends, so the only other option lies in prevention. Aside from the things Jim already mentioned, avoiding brushing wet hair helps, and avoiding things like curling irons (he already mentioned blow dryers).

Right! But I think if you don't find out the cause of it, you'd face the same problem as soon as your hair become longer again!:uhh:

What causes trichoptlosis?

Trichoptilosis, commonly known as split ends, is caused by damage to the hair cuticle. This damage can be caused by a variety of factors, including chemical treatments, excessive heat styling, and rough handling of the hair.

What are the 5 most frequently asked questions about "What causes trichoptlosis? How to get rid of it?"

1. How do I know if I have trichoptilosis?
2. Can trichoptilosis be prevented?
3. What are the best treatment options for trichoptilosis?
4. Can I repair split ends or do I have to cut them off?
5. How can I prevent trichoptilosis from coming back?

How do I know if I have trichoptilosis?

Trichoptilosis is characterized by the splitting of the hair shaft, usually at the ends. This can cause the hair to look frayed and dry. If you notice these signs in your hair, you likely have trichoptilosis.

Can trichoptilosis be prevented?

While split ends are a common occurrence, there are steps you can take to prevent them. These include using heat protectant products, avoiding harsh chemicals and excessive heat styling, and using a wide-tooth comb to detangle wet hair.

What are the best treatment options for trichoptilosis?

The best treatment for trichoptilosis is to trim off the damaged ends. However, there are also products and treatments available that can help temporarily seal split ends and improve the overall appearance of the hair.

Can I repair split ends or do I have to cut them off?

Unfortunately, split ends cannot be repaired. The only way to get rid of them is to cut them off. However, taking steps to prevent split ends can help reduce their occurrence and the need for frequent trims.

How can I prevent trichoptilosis from coming back?

To prevent trichoptilosis from coming back, it is important to take care of your hair and avoid damaging it. This includes using gentle hair care products, avoiding excessive heat styling, and getting regular trims to remove any split ends that may occur.