1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What chapters or subject i need to read in order

1. Jun 5, 2009 #1
    what chapters or subject i need to read in charles A.desour BASIC CIRCUIT THEORY
    order to solve the following question:

http://i40.tinypic.com/219rsyt.gif

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2009 #2

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

You just need to know how to write up the basic differential equation. Doing this in the frequency domain (with a Laplace transform) might make it easier, however.

4. Jun 5, 2009 #3
    i dont know how to get those differential equation.
    i have this desour book
    response to shock
    what that mean??
    i know that delta function is used for sampling a function
    but thats too abstract
    i know kirshgoff laws
    i know differential equation

i cant figure out the middle part

if you know this book
    then you can tell what chapter should i read foe this
    ??

5. Jun 6, 2009 #4
    Hi Transgalactic, here is how I'd go about solving the problem:

Using Kirchoff's current law, write down the first order linear differential equation describing the voltage across the capacitor when shunted by a resistor. Remember that the current from the generator equals the current through the capacitor plus the current through the resistor, and the equations for the current through a capacitor and resistor. After solving the differential equation, you'd have an equation describing the voltage across the capacitor as a function of time. Since Q = CV, if you have an equation describing the voltage across the capacitor as function of time you also have an equation describing the charge on the capacitor as a function of time. In this context I believe what they mean by a "shock input" is that the current goes from zero to some set value in zero time, i.e. the input is not steady state or some function of time like [tex]Asin(\omega t + \varphi)[/tex]. Like MATLABdude said it may be easier to solve equations like this with Laplace transforms instead of grinding through the differential equation, but as I haven't studied them yet you're on your own..:biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook