What cheeses, wines and biscuits would you serve at a party?

  • Thread starter Thread starter wolram
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
80 replies · 10K views
One thing about this non epicure ian country we do have a good cheese selection.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
(cracked crab?)





I've got to do something--I'll be back later
 
turbo-1 said:
Woolie, you could have an Evo-themed party with whine and crab.:rolleyes:

Turbo, i intend to steer this ship through hell and high water i need the treasure.

Besides most of these people have not a family member who has gone further than the borders of Warwickshire.

Ops, i just picked up on the whine LOL.
 
Last edited:
Anyone know a Californian wine maker Gainey or Grainy or some such, i had some wine from them one time and all ways remember how nice it was.
 
Alternately, it's queens day eve, celibrated in the big cities already. So put also the http://www.de-ooievaar.nl/english/other_distillates.php?id=83 in the fridge
 
Last edited by a moderator:
rewebster said:
got any sheep cheese up there?

Aged kasseri would be similar to asiago or parmesan but milder if one chose to include that instead of asiago. Or pecorino romano. All the sheep cheeses I've ever had are very mild (bland). They're good ingredients for cooking, but kind of boring to eat by themselves in my opinion.
 
Woolie, you might have to talk to the owner of a wine shop to locate the "undiscovered gems". One of my favorite inexpensive vinyards was Geyser Peak Winery - very reasonably priced with impeccable quality. You can click on the link below to see why I no longer buy their wines.

http://www.geyserpeakwinery.com/home.aspx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear said:
Aged kasseri would be similar to asiago or parmesan but milder if one chose to include that instead of asiago. Or pecorino romano. All the sheep cheeses I've ever had are very mild (bland). They're good ingredients for cooking, but kind of boring to eat by themselves in my opinion.

I agree sheeps cheese is for wimps, i like the sound of asiago.
 
Moonbear said:
Aged kasseri would be similar to asiago or parmesan but milder if one chose to include that instead of asiago. Or pecorino romano. All the sheep cheeses I've ever had are very mild (bland). They're good ingredients for cooking, but kind of boring to eat by themselves in my opinion.

my, my, MB...I didn't realize you were so cheesy

def.: cheesy (cheese aficionadi)


:approve:
 
Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
Woolie, you might have to talk to the owner of a wine shop to locate the "undiscovered gems". One of my favorite inexpensive vinyards was Geyser Peak Winery - very reasonably priced with impeccable quality. You can click on the link below to see why I no longer buy their wines.

http://www.geyserpeakwinery.com/home.aspx

Ouch! Rather spendy there! There was a CA winery in the Russian River Valley that made a pinot noir that was consistently good year after year that I loved (it was an older vineyard), and was really reasonably priced, but they stopped making their pinot noir. I don't know if they sold off the vineyard, or the grapes stopped being consistent in flavor or what, but it's disappointing when you find something that's consistently good over several vintages and then you can't get it anymore. :frown: I also hate when too many people discover the wines I like. They go from being an inexpensive wine around $10/bottle to suddenly being $35 or more per bottle just because people besides me figured out the little no-name vineyard has incredibly tasty wines.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
wolram---what's the budget? 100-300 lbs?


(I don't have the right symbol) BP? BPS?
 
Last edited:
Moonbear said:
Ouch! Rather spendy there! There was a CA winery in the Russian River Valley that made a pinot noir that was consistently good year after year that I loved (it was an older vineyard), and was really reasonably priced, but they stopped making their pinot noir. I don't know if they sold off the vineyard, or the grapes stopped being consistent in flavor or what, but it's disappointing when you find something that's consistently good over several vintages and then you can't get it anymore. :frown: I also hate when too many people discover the wines I like. They go from being an inexpensive wine around $10/bottle to suddenly being $35 or more per bottle just because people besides me figured out the little no-name vineyard has incredibly tasty wines.

I think max of £10 a bottle, may be a little more for a fantastic wine, but i would hold that back from the plonk drinkers.
 
rewebster said:
wolram---what's the budget? 100-300 lbs?


(I don't have the right symbol) BP? BPS?

£300 to £500 max, may be average between £5 to £6 per bottle of wine with a few up to
about £10, and £100 for food or there abouts.
 
Looking at the price of some cheeses may be £150 for food.
 
so, £10 to £15 each for drinks and £4 to £5 each for foods?
 
Last edited:
rewebster said:
so, 10 to 15£ each for drinks and 4 to 5£ each for foods?

Yes i think that is generous enough if not a bit over the top, but this lot would eat a field of turnips and drain a horse trough, and want rhubarb and custard for afters.
 
Moonbear said:
Ouch! Rather spendy there! There was a CA winery in the Russian River Valley that made a pinot noir that was consistently good year after year that I loved (it was an older vineyard), and was really reasonably priced, but they stopped making their pinot noir. I don't know if they sold off the vineyard, or the grapes stopped being consistent in flavor or what, but it's disappointing when you find something that's consistently good over several vintages and then you can't get it anymore. :frown: I also hate when too many people discover the wines I like. They go from being an inexpensive wine around $10/bottle to suddenly being $35 or more per bottle just because people besides me figured out the little no-name vineyard has incredibly tasty wines.
Moonie, IIR, the first bottle of Geyser Peak Cab-Sauv that I bought cost me 99 cents at the local Bud's Shop 'n Save when I was a college student (probably '71 or so). I had a dinner date (I was making spaghetti and garlic bread) that night and I didn't want to overshadow my good cooking and "impress" my date with wine from a bottle with a screw-top. After that night, I bought Geyser Peak wines at every opportunity until they priced themselves out of my budget. I'm glad for the folks who own the winery, but I'm pretty bitter over the fact that they got "discovered" so soon.
 
turbo-1 said:
Moonie, IIR, the first bottle of Geyser Peak Cab-Sauv that I bought cost me 99 cents at the local Bud's Shop 'n Save when I was a college student (probably '71 or so). I had a dinner date (I was making spaghetti and garlic bread) that night and I didn't want to overshadow my good cooking and "impress" my date with wine from a bottle with a screw-top. After that night, I bought Geyser Peak wines at every opportunity until they priced themselves out of my budget. I'm glad for the folks who own the winery, but I'm pretty bitter over the fact that they got "discovered" so soon.


ahh---Strawberry Fields



(now that I think about it--I wouldn't even call it wine)
 
turbo-1 said:
Moonie, IIR, the first bottle of Geyser Peak Cab-Sauv that I bought cost me 99 cents at the local Bud's Shop 'n Save when I was a college student (probably '71 or so). I had a dinner date (I was making spaghetti and garlic bread) that night and I didn't want to overshadow my good cooking and "impress" my date with wine from a bottle with a screw-top. After that night, I bought Geyser Peak wines at every opportunity until they priced themselves out of my budget. I'm glad for the folks who own the winery, but I'm pretty bitter over the fact that they got "discovered" so soon.

Yep, it's so disappointing when you find a really inexpensive but incredibly tasty wine and in a few years and a few good reviews later, you can't afford it anymore (or only an occasional bottle for a really special occasion).

I've learned that if I find something at a good price and like it, buy a case.
 
Tom Mattson said:
There is smoked gouda at all of my parties. :approve:

And you still have friends? Tom how can you eat that stuff.
 
wolram said:
Yes i think that is generous enough if not a bit over the top, but this lot would eat a field of turnips and drain a horse trough, and want rhubarb and custard for afters.

Hmm...perhaps allocate a portion of the budget to an inexpensive cheese spread and some good, but cheap, bread to spread it on to fill them up before they break the bank!
 
Moonbear said:
Yep, it's so disappointing when you find a really inexpensive but incredibly tasty wine and in a few years and a few good reviews later, you can't afford it anymore (or only an occasional bottle for a really special occasion).

I've learned that if I find something at a good price and like it, buy a case.

You must have a big house or storage MoonB.But i like your style.
 
Last edited:
wolram said:
You must have a big house or storage MoonB.

It's not small, but I don't do that very often. When I buy a more permanent house, I'll create a small wine cellar and then really start working on stocking it. It doesn't take up much space to put the wines up in racks along the walls in a basement...a lot of that space goes unused anyway. My current house doesn't have a good place to store wine, so I just have to drink it. :biggrin: In my previous house, I had a laundry room in the basement, and a few old kitchen cabinets up on the walls for storage in that room...I used half for wine storage and half for all the partial paint cans for touch up jobs.
 
Tom Mattson said:
Cause it's really tasty? :confused:

But it is akin to edam that has suffered fire damage.