What classes do you need after you are in chemistry and pharmacy?

In summary, the individual is seeking information on the classes they would need to take in order to graduate, specifically for a chemistry major transferring to UCSD and for a pharmacy program at UCSD. They also ask if previous biology, chemistry, physics, and math classes would be helpful and clarify that they are not asking about required classes for admission, but for graduation. The responder suggests checking school websites and the transfer site ASSIST for specific degree requirements. They also caution the individual about the current state of the pharmacy industry and advise them to research before committing to a pharmacy program.
Acuben
I should really make two different thread for this one but meh

i'm asking what classes I would need to take in order to graduate, not to transfer/get in

I'm going to transfer as a chemistry major hopefully to UCSD, university of california san diego (or UCs in general) and I'd like to know what classes would I most likely end up taking after I transfer in order to graduate? (say UCSD for example) I know it'd be different slightly from school to school, but at least I want to get a general idea.

Also once I get into 4year(?) pharmacy school (let's say UCSD again), what classes would I have to take in order to finish the pharmacy program?

as for Pharmacy school, are biology/chemistry/physics/math classes I took so farm helpful? It's been a while ever since I was out of school, so would I have to review all those areas?(I'm not asking required classes to get in, but required classes to graduate)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Most schools list degree requirements on their Web sites.

http://www.assist.org/web-assist/welcome.html

I'm assuming transfer means from a CC, the site above gives you the required classes by major + the overlap from whichever CC you're transferring from.

Please be VERY careful about approaching the field of pharmacy. It isn't what it used to be and you should inform yourself of the employment situation before spending over $100K in student loans to go to pharmacy school. Read through the whole thread from pharmacists in the industry right now to get an idea of where it is headed:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=639184

I would recommend speaking with an academic advisor at the university you plan to transfer to for a more specific answer. However, based on my knowledge of the field, some classes that may be required for a chemistry major at UCSD could include organic chemistry, physical chemistry, biochemistry, analytical chemistry, and inorganic chemistry. These classes would provide a strong foundation for advanced courses in chemistry and could potentially fulfill some requirements for the pharmacy program as well.

For the pharmacy program at UCSD, you may need to take classes such as pharmacology, pharmaceutics, medicinal chemistry, and pharmacotherapy. These courses would focus on the application of chemistry in the pharmaceutical industry and prepare you for a career as a pharmacist.

In terms of your previous coursework, it is likely that your biology, chemistry, physics, and math classes will be helpful in your future studies. However, it is always a good idea to review and refresh your knowledge in these areas before starting a new program.

Overall, the specific classes you will need to take after transferring and in pharmacy school will vary depending on the university and program. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to ensure you are on the right track to graduate and meet all requirements for your chosen field of study.

1. What classes do I need to take in order to become a pharmacist?

To become a pharmacist, you will need to take a variety of classes in chemistry and pharmacy. Some common courses include organic chemistry, biochemistry, pharmacology, and pharmacy law. You will also need to complete courses in anatomy, physiology, and other medical sciences.

2. Are there any specific classes I need to take for a career in pharmaceutical research?

If you are interested in a career in pharmaceutical research, you will need to take advanced courses in chemistry, biochemistry, and pharmacology. These classes will provide you with the knowledge and skills necessary to conduct research and develop new drugs.

3. Can I take classes in other subjects besides chemistry and pharmacy?

While most of your classes will be in chemistry and pharmacy, it is important to have a well-rounded education. Taking classes in subjects like biology, physics, and mathematics can also be beneficial for a career in chemistry and pharmacy.

4. Do I need to take any classes in computer science or technology?

In today's digital age, having knowledge and skills in computer science and technology can be highly beneficial for a career in chemistry and pharmacy. Some classes you may consider taking include computer programming, data analysis, and information technology.

5. Are there any classes that will help me prepare for pharmacy school?

In addition to the required chemistry and pharmacy classes, there are some courses that can help you prepare for pharmacy school. These may include classes in communication, ethics, and healthcare law. It is also important to gain experience in a pharmacy setting through internships or volunteer work.