Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What CM frame to take in this case?

1. Mar 10, 2015 #1
    If an electron-positron is decaying into Higgs and then from Higgs into fermions. What is CM frame in this case?

Let us say that electron has momentum $$p_{e^-}=p_1$$ The positron has a momentum $$p_{e^+}=p_2$$ The fermion has momentum $$ p_{f} = q_1$$ and the other one has momentum $$p_{\bar{f}}=q_2$$

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2015 #2
    The CM frame is always the same, i.e. the one where the total spatial momentum is zero. In this frame you have that the initial e+e- pair have total four-momentum ##p_1+p_2=(E_1+E_2, \vec{0})##. However, by conservation of four-momentum it must also be ##q_1+q_2=(E_1^\prime+E_2^\prime, \vec{0})##.

4. Mar 11, 2015 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That does not make sense - neither the electron nor the positron can decay to a Higgs, and a combined object (positronium) cannot do either.

You can produce a Higgs in a high-energetic collision of electrons and positrons, but the direct production (a Higgs and nothing else) is very unlikely due to the small mass of the particles.

5. Mar 11, 2015 #4
    SO yes that is what I meant, that you can produce a Higgs in that way. If so, then the CM is how @Einj posted, no?

@Einj, how would I find invariants in this case?

6. Mar 12, 2015 #5
    It depends on what invariants you want to find. What do you have in mind?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook