What Defines the Energy Spectrum in a Hamiltonian System?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 7K views
degerativpart
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the energy spectrum of a system whose Hamiltonian is
H=Ho+H'=[-(planks const)^2/2m][d^2/dx^2]+.5m(omega)^2x^2+ax^3+bx^4


I gues my big question to begin is what exactly makes up the energy spectrum. I know the equation to the first and second order perturbations but I am not sure exactly what the energy spectrum entails. Please help.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


ive figured out that H'=ax^3+bx^4

and Ho==[-(planks const)^2/2m][d^2/dx^2]+.5m(omega)^2x^2
and lambda=1 which mean ita a full perturbation
 
Physics news on Phys.org
degerativpart said:
I gues my big question to begin is what exactly makes up the energy spectrum.
In QM, "energy spectrum" is just a stupid word that they use to mean the set of possible energy eigenvalues. I personally hate that terminology; it's so misleading.



degerativpart said:
and lambda=1 which mean ita a full perturbation
I don't know what this means.
 
haha obviously I agree with you and I read that the lambda in the equation for H=Ho+(lambda)H' when equals to zero means its an unperturbed equation and when it is equal to 1 then its fully perturbed. I don't know I read it.
But I guess my next question how many energy eigenvalues are there? Does that mean I should probably only go to the second oreder corrections?
 
degerativpart said:
... how many energy eigenvalues are there?
How many eigenvalues are there for H0? Can the perturbation remove or add any, or does it just shift them?
 
Sorry, I could say that book is the question?. thank you.