What Degree Best Suits My Interests in Physics and Engineering?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kev.thomson96
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Choice
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
kev.thomson96
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Good day to everyone reading this,

I thought I would know what degree I would want to pursue after high school, however I have not decided what I should do in the future. My interest in science arose a little over an year ago, especially in physics, after I tried amateur karting. Before, I was an above average student in any science, nothing spectacular. Last year, I did a lot better in Physics, Maths, Biology and Chemistry, which reinforced my idea to pursue a career within science. I realized I was interested in pretty much everything that involved Physics and Engineering, but I have narrowed it down to this:

Basically, it's another scientist or engineer thread.

What I am interested in: (Not in a set order)
- Nuclear and Particle Physics
- Robots
- Outer space
- Artificial Intelligence
- Mechanical Engineering (and its branches)

Things I want to do: (Not in a set order)
- Work mostly in R&D
- Make Drones, Quadcopters, Multirotors
- Make Space exploration vehicles
- Contribute to Automation and Physics, if possible
- Make a stable income

Bachelor degrees I have considered: (off the top of my head)
- Mechatronics
- Aerospace Engineering
- Robotics
- Mechanical Engineering
- Physics
- Dual Degrees:
I have seen Robotics and Mechatronics (Would that be worth it?), Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering and others.

Notes:
- I am still in high school, I have one more year to complete.
- I am still focused on studying for SAT, so I haven't done much research beyond universities and degrees. And my own thoughts.
- I am looking to do more of applied, than ''pure'' research.

Questions:
- Can I do all of the ''Things I want to do'' by getting a bachelor's degree(and eventually a major) in one particular field?
- What degree of the listed (and others that I did not mention) suits me the best?
- What bachelor degrees are centered around Nuclear and Particle Physics?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You sound like someone who likes to build things. A degree in computer science, electrical engineering or mechanical engineering will suit you better than a physics degree.

As a physics major myself, sometimes I envy engineering students because their projects involves building stuff, which can be more fun and fulfilling than doing experiments.