Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What determines the charge of a field?

1. Jun 24, 2016 #1
    I understand what we classically know as the charge of a particle is actually the parameter of the local phase symmetry of the field the particle belongs to, the Noether current of which permits its coupling to the electromagnetic field. But when a field has phase symmetry it is symmetric under any phase transformation ψ → ψe, not just the one with a specific α as parameter.

So why is it that fields just couple with the current corresponding to one charge? Would it be possible for the Dirac field to couple to the electromagnetic field or to the scalar field with a coupling constant other than e?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2016 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The charge is given by the coupling constant in the Lagrangian. It appears in the local gauge transformation at some place too, but it's not the parameter in the gauge transformation that determines the coupling constant.

4. Jun 24, 2016 #3
    Then there's some detail I misunderstood. To me the local phase symmetry ψ → ψeiq gives rise to a conserved current eψ*γ0γμ ψ, and when we use that current to couple the Dirac field to the EM field the parameter e plays the role of coupling constant. Did I get that wrong?

5. Jun 24, 2016 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

No, it's all right. You introduce the coupling constant in the principle of minimal substitution ##\partial_{\mu} \rightarrow \partial_{\mu} + i g A_{\mu}^a T^a## to make the so far only global symmetry local.

6. Jun 24, 2016 #5
    Ok, so the parameter of the transformation doesn't end up bein the coupling constant then?

7. Jun 24, 2016 #6

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Right!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted