What Determines the Maximum Compression of a Spring in an Elastic Collision?

  • Thread starter Thread starter phizics09
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Compression Spring
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
phizics09
Messages
38
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


A 1 kg cart is at the top of a frictionless ramp as shown. It rolls down and makes an elastic collision with a stationary 3 kg cart at the bottom. The spring constant is 400 N/m. What is the maximum compression of the spring? How far up the ramp will the first cart travel after the collision?

The Attempt at a Solution


I got part a, but I don't know how to do part b.

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
phizics09 said:

Homework Statement


A 1 kg cart is at the top of a frictionless ramp as shown. It rolls down and makes an elastic collision with a stationary 3 kg cart at the bottom. The spring constant is 400 N/m. What is the maximum compression of the spring? How far up the ramp will the first cart travel after the collision?

The Attempt at a Solution


I got part a, but I don't know how to do part b.

Thanks!
No figure.

Not enough detail given -- especially without the figure !
 
sorry i forgot to attach the picture !

Compression of Spring.jpg
 
attachment.php?attachmentid=43274&d=1327891181.jpg
How did you find the maximum compression of the spring? --- in detail.