Finding the maximum compression of a spring

In summary: Do you know any laws about the energy?The collision between the two masses occurs at their center of mass which is moving right. The collision is elastic since there is no horizontal force acting on the masses. The energy of the collision is kinetic since the masses are moving.
kappakeepo

Homework Statement

A block of mass m1 slides along a frictionless table to the right with a speed of v1. A second mass M2 slides in the same direction with a speed of v2 such that it will collide with m1 which is in front of m2. Say that a spring of stiffness k is attached to one of the masses such that it compresses when the two masses finally collide. Find the maximum compression of the spring.

Homework Equations

It sounds like momentum to me so I guess F=dp/dt will be relevant here.

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I think max compression occurs when velocity of mass 1 relative to mass 2 is zero. But that's the only thing I could really figure out. I don't know what to proceed next. Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
What sort of physical laws will be relevant here? "something to do with momentum"? ... what laws do you know about momentum? Are there any other laws you know about that could apply?

Can you describe, qualitatively, what happens during the collision?

Simon Bridge said:
What sort of physical laws will be relevant here? "something to do with momentum"? ... what laws do you know about momentum? Are there any other laws you know about that could apply?

Can you describe, qualitatively, what happens during the collision?
I'm thinking centre of mass might be relevant here but I don't know how. It's a gut feeling. Also definitely F=-kx during collision.
During the collision, momentum from the left mass is transferred to the right mass. I believe this is an elastic collision.

Is there anything else you know about the blocks while they're in motion? Any other properties they have that you could use?

Jason Healy said:
Is there anything else you know about the blocks while they're in motion? Any other properties they have that you could use?
Well. There's no horizontal force obviously since a = 0. Since it is in motion, there has to be kinetic energy and momentum (relative to that frame of reference to be exact)

Do you know any laws about the energy?
Center of mass may be a promising approach, especially if you have just done a lot of coursework on center f mass problems - can you describe the motion in the com frame?

@Jason Healy: welcome to PF

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
Do you know any laws about the energy?

@Jason Healy: welcome to PF
Yes but I think my professor wants me to do this question using centre of mass thinking or momentum thinking or both. But I'm not sure using laws of energy is a must here.

Laws of energy are always available - right now you are collecting your ideas.
Center of mass may be a promising approach, especially if you have just done a lot of coursework on center of mass problems - can you describe the motion in the com frame?

Simon Bridge said:
Laws of energy are always available - right now you are collecting your ideas.
Center of mass may be a promising approach, especially if you have just done a lot of coursework on center of mass problems - can you describe the motion in the com frame?
Well. Since both bodies have no acceleration(no horizontal force), then the centre of mass of both bodies must have a=0. Also V of com is moving right. The collision occurs at the final centre of mass obviously.

While the spring is being compressed - don't the bodies accelerate?
Can you think of a general principle for energy and momentum that may hold for the interaction here?

Describe the motion in the center of mass frame.

1. What is the maximum compression of a spring?

The maximum compression of a spring refers to the point at which the spring can no longer be compressed any further without permanently deforming or breaking.

2. How do you find the maximum compression of a spring?

The maximum compression of a spring can be determined by subjecting the spring to progressively increasing forces and measuring the displacement of the spring. The point at which the displacement stops increasing is the maximum compression point.

3. What factors affect the maximum compression of a spring?

The maximum compression of a spring can be affected by several factors including the material and diameter of the spring, the amount of force applied, and the initial length of the spring before compression.

4. What is the formula for calculating the maximum compression of a spring?

The formula for calculating the maximum compression of a spring is: maximum compression = (force applied / spring constant) + initial length of the spring.

5. Why is it important to know the maximum compression of a spring?

Knowing the maximum compression of a spring is important for designing and using springs in various applications, such as in shock absorbers or mechanical devices. It ensures that the spring is not pushed beyond its limits and can function properly without causing damage.