What Determines the Placement of Orange Circles in This IQ Test Pattern?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter KarminValso1724
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
KarminValso1724
Messages
25
Reaction score
1
http://www.matrix67.com/iqtest/01.jpg

I am having a lot of trouble solving it. From the information I have collected so far, they only ask us to show which squares contain orange circles, they did not ask us about which squares are blue or orang. So I think that the color of the surrounding squares determines which squares contain orange circles. There are also 4 circles per square which implies that the orange circles are each switching positions. That is all I have gathered so far. It also seems that the first questions on this test are harder than the later ones, if that helps.
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
KarminValso1724 said:
So I think that the color of the surrounding squares determines which squares contain orange circles.
Picture 1 and 2 have the same square colors, but different orange circles.

Those problems are usually stupid. There is an infinite set of patterns that matches that sequence and any continuation you like. The person making the problem statement thought about one - but what prevents you from thinking about a different one? Ideally, the intended pattern is simpler than all others, but that is not guaranteed.
 
mfb said:
Picture 1 and 2 have the same square colors, but different orange circles.

Those problems are usually stupid. There is an infinite set of patterns that matches that sequence and any continuation you like. The person making the problem statement thought about one - but what prevents you from thinking about a different one? Ideally, the intended pattern is simpler than all others, but that is not guaranteed.
The square colors play a role in determining which squares contain orange circles in the next example, not the one in which the colors are present.
 
I don't know if that is true (you seem to be sure?), but even if it is, they cannot fully determine the positions, otherwise 2 and 3 would have the same.
 
mfb said:
I don't know if that is true (you seem to be sure?), but even if it is, they cannot fully determine the positions, otherwise 2 and 3 would have the same.
Not if the square colors determine in which direction the orange circles move somehow.
 
That would be possible, sure.
No matter what influences what, the rules are not symmetric, as image 1 is symmetric and image 2 is not.