1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What di Geological engineers do?

1. Dec 24, 2009 #1
    Hi everyone, I'm a new member in this forum. I was wondering what really Geological Engineers do in their work. I've made quite a lot of research about this profession, but still, I don't see the bigger picture. All I know is that they aid Civil Engineers, Environmental Engineers and etc. on determining the correct area and precaution to take when doing their construction or any kind of engineering work that requires their specializations...
    I wonder if their work overlaps with the work of a geologist...

Anyway, thanks to anyone that will provide me more infos about this engineering career...

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2009 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

My graduate advisor got his PhD in Geology. The three things I learned are: he got to work outside all of the time, most of the jobs involve prospecting for oil or mineral deposits, and the 'old timers' often licked the rocks to determine the composition.

I imagine there's a lot of overlap with Civ Es and Env Es.

4. Dec 24, 2009 #3
    thanks andy...people said that this engineering program is fun...and loads of experience waiting to be learned...

5. Dec 24, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's the bit of civil engineering dealing with the earth, so mostly the strength and properties of the rocks and soil you are building on.
    It's more often called geotechnical engineering (cos that sounds way cooler)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook