1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs To continue with the geosciences or go geotech engineering?

1. Apr 9, 2016 #1
    I have a bachelors in geophysics and am currently deciding between attending a school for a masters in geoscience/geophysics and attending a school for a masters in geotechnical engineering. They are both funded to a degree, with the geoscience masters being extremely well funded versus the engineering programs.

What are the potential industry career paths for a masters in geoscience/geophysics? Oil and gas used to be a no brainer but the current job market in oil and the general cyclic boom and bust turns me off from oil and its unpredictable job security.

To my knowledge, a degree in geotechnical engineering would have much better job security and would have the potential to go for professional engineering licensure.

Would I be correct in assuming that the engineering route would be a safer option, with better job security, job options, and career paths? I have an intense love for geology and geophysics but I actually do not know much about their job applications other than nonrenewables and academia. I'm very interested in the work geotech engineers do as well and have a good idea what kind of work I'll like to specialize in if I decide to go that route.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You might like to consider Civil Engineering as well .

There can be a lot of geophysics in the work that some Civil Engineers do .

4. Apr 12, 2016 #3
    All the geotech programs I applied for are civil engineering programs, just with a concentration in geotechnical applications.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted