1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What did I do wrong in this Bessel equation?

1. Dec 21, 2009 #1
    I need to convert[tex]x^{2}y''+2xy'+[kx^{2}-n(n+1)]y=0[/tex] using [tex]y=x^{-\frac{1}{2}}w[/tex] to a normal Modified Bessel Equation and I cannot get to that. I check many times and I must be having a blind spot!!!!

This is my work:

[tex]y=x^{-\frac{1}{2}} w \Rightarrow y'=-\frac{1}{2}x^{-\frac{3}{2}}w+x^{-\frac{1}{2}}w' \Rightarrow y''=\frac{3}{4}x^{-\frac{5}{2}}w-\frac{1}{2}x^{-\frac{3}{2}}w'+x^{-\frac{1}{2}}w''-\frac{1}{2}x^{-\frac{3}{2}}w'[/tex]

[tex]x^{2}y''+2xy'+(kx^{2}-n(n+1))y=0 \Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex] [\frac{3}{4}x^{-\frac{1}{2}}w-\frac{1}{2}x^{\frac{1}{2}}w'+x^{\frac{3}{2}}w''-\frac{1}{2}x^{\frac{1}{2}}w']+[2x^{\frac{1}{2}}w'-x^{-\frac{1}{2}}w]+[kx^{\frac{3}{2}}w-n(n+1)x^{-\frac{1}{2}})w]=0[/tex]

Grouping w'', w' and w terms:

[tex]x^{\frac{3}{2}}w''+(-x^{\frac{1}{2}}+2x^{\frac{1}{2}})w'+(\frac{3}{4}x^{-\frac{1}{2}}-x^{-\frac{1}{2}}+kx^{\frac{3}{2}}-n(n+1)x^{-\frac{1}{2}})w=0[/tex]

Multiply by [tex]x^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex] This give:

[tex]x^{2}w''+xw'+(\frac{3}{4}-1+kx^{2}-n(n+1))w=0[/tex]

I can't get the standard Modified Bessel equation because the 3/4-1 in the w term cannot be cancel out.
    Please tell me what I did wrong.

Thanks
    Alan

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2009 #2
    Your arithmetic is correct (except that in the first line you have an exponent [tex]-\frac23[/tex] that should be [tex]-\frac32[/tex], but later steps are correct).

Is there any reason why the [tex]n[/tex] (order) in the equation you end up with is required to be the same you began with? I notice that your problematic constant term is [tex]-n^2 - n - \frac14[/tex], which factors nicely.

4. Dec 21, 2009 #3
    You are right, I was blind!!! The final equation is with [tex](n+\frac{1}{2})^{2}[/tex]!!!

It must be old age!!! I read the final equation wrong and I just kept concentrate on what I did and never look at the final equation!!!! Wasted almost an hour on this!!! The only excuse I can come up is I am 56!!!! Too old!!!:rolleyes: BUT I am not old enough to conceed to you guys yet!!!!

Thanks a million.

Alan

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook