physics girl phd
- 931
- 3
I can't vote... this thread just makes me hungry (or hungrier) for everything! I'd even go for the haggis right now. I haven't had a good haggis since I visited Scotland. 
jimmysnyder said:I like all kinds of food, so I can't pick a favorite. As my wife is Chinese, and we travel a lot, I end up eating in Chinatowns in several countries. Even the food in Chinatown, San Francisco is different from what you can get in Chinatown, Philadelphia. Beside the different histories and local tastes, there is also the problem of getting ingredients. One place I went to that didn't have a Chinatown was my wife's hometown,Taipei. I asked around for a Chinese restaurant, but everyone just stared at me as if I was an alien. Like Twain, I had a difficult time getting these people to understand their own language. We ate at the local restaurants, but we couldn't get any Chinese food. No moo-goo gai pan, no chop suey, no fortune cookies. I bet a lot of them never picked up a fork and ate fried rice.
You are kidding right?mgb_phys said:Chicken Tika Masala - classic English dish.
Reshma said:You are kidding right?
Chicken tikka masala is an Indian dish brought to UK by Indians. "Masala" is a Hindi word for spice.
The origins of chicken tikka masala are disputed. A widely reported explanation of the origins of the dish is that it was conceived in a British Bangladeshi[1][3] restaurant at Glasgow in the late 1960s, when a customer, who found the traditional chicken tikka too dry, asked for some gravy.[2] The chef supposedly improvised a sauce from tomato soup, yogurt and spices.[1]
At least one source contends that the dish originated in Delhi in 1947.[4][5]
lisab said:At this point in our poll, Italian food is winning. But keep in mind that for our Italian members, Italian food isn't called ethnic food -- it's just called "food."
George Jones said:What about poutine?
TheStatutoryApe said:
wildman said:Colombian. Love the potato soups...
Spain may have the most beautiful land in Europe. I just love their gazpacho - right on for the climate.gravenewworld said:Wow I'm surprised the Spaniards get such little respect. They make some of the best wines, olive oils, and meats in the world.
gravenewworld said:Wow I'm surprised the Spaniards get such little respect. They make some of the best wines, olive oils, and meats in the world.
