What do the atomic orbitals of Helium look like?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
sshai45
Messages
86
Reaction score
1
Hi.

I am wondering about this. I have been able to find many graphs showing what the atomic orbitals look like for hydrogen, but nothing for more complex atoms, like helium. Why is this? Now I know the Schrödinger equation for helium cannot be solved exactly, but you don't need an exact solution to plot a graph, which will be approximate anyways. Can't you just throw the Schrödinger equation into some kind of numerical differential equations algorithm and plot the results?

ADD: I just remembered that the equation has a psi-function which depends on TWO 3D position parameters, not 1 (1 parameter for each electron), which means it has a 6-dimensional parameter set. So using a grid of 100 points on a side in your numerical algorithm you would need one trillion (10^12) points, which would be several TB of data on a computer. Is this the reason? Even then, couldn't you exploit some kind of symmetry or use a more compact representation like a series expansion or something to cut it down to a more manageable data set?

Also, does the psi-function's dependence on two position parameters mean you cannot really talk of orbitals for each electron after all?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The "orbitals" are usually thought of as the sum of the two single electron states...