What do you do when you get bored?

• Thread starter Leo Liu
  • Start date
Ophiolite said:
Safety Advice: It is not without its risks. Demonstrating it to a class on one occassion I caught one of my knuckles on the edge of my target table, sustaining a deep cut and copious blood letting.
Can we take it that, for most people, boredom would abate at that point, thus mission accomplished?
That seems to me to be a rather ouchy way to accomplish that.

Wrichik Basu
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
I do often get bored when I am studying a lot of theory. The best way to remove the boredom is to do some experiments with Arduino, or develop my Android apps (some of which are already on Google Play). I am mostly involved in the latter. Sometimes, I read publications on HEP, especially in detector design and beam instrumentation. A good way to pass some time.

However, for the last two months, I have spent more time thinking about the uncertain future rather than doing anything creative in my spare time. We are passing through a difficult time, and it's always the same chain of thoughts that comes to my mind. My semester exams are going on now, and I don't have much time to get bored anyway.

Once my exams are over, I hope to re-indulge in the creative things that I used to do. I have already collected lots of (open-access) papers for reading, and also thought of some new features for my apps. Spending time behind Arduino is probably no longer possible due to tight financial constraints. Let's see how things turn out. Hope for the best.

If you are a dreamer then you are like many scientists and it is your way of achieving. You are not a driven person - they achieve success in a different way. If you start to languish in inactivity, however, and cannot get started on any one worthwhile task, my suggestion is to go for a walk somewhere green, in Nature.
This will kick start your brain to start you on a worthwhile path.
A nice suggestion. While I don't usually take strolls, I do go for a jog in a park near my home every other day and ride shared bicycles to do some of my errands.

I will clean my bedroom and do some washing, then eating😁

jasonRF
Science Advisor
Gold Member
As a TV addict …. I guess no more needs to be said.