What do you do with your free time?

1. What do guys do when you have nothing else to do? I've had a lot of free time of late. Due to the unique way things have shaped up for me, I'm bored!

I have so much free time on my hands that all I do all day long is play the guitar, sleep, watch movies and if I feel like it, go for a jog. I dont even need to go to college anymore except for my final year's project presentation.

What do you guys do to kill time? This is a new feeling for me, I've never really had a lot of guilt-free free time before :p !

2. jcsd
  3. Don't know what to say to help.

If only there was a forum somewhere online you could go and perhaps help out. I'm sure there are homework sections that could really do with the support...

If you're really lucky, it'll have a load of other great sub-forums which you could browse and contribute to (might even get into a discussion or two).

4. This is actually my goal in life....to have lots of free time.

I say, learn to enjoy your time off. Be creative. Think about, and DO the things that you want to do. Because once you get a job, buy a house, join the Navy, have a family, etc., you'll never have any free time, ever again. Ever.

5. :biggrin:
    I second this. Either that or try to learn a really challenging guitar piece, play video games, etc. I'm not sure, I've never had trouble with too much free time.

6. Listen to Noam Chomsky. [​IMG]

For example:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  7. I've been doing that since I wrote that post. This is only going to last for so long :tongue:. What do YOU guys do?

8. Did my first post not let you in on that?

Aside from this, I play games and get on with various tasks that must be performed around the flat.

9. Well, lets see. Over the years, I've dabbled in the following hobbies. Photography, woodworking, shooting, reloading, racing cars, rallying, autocross, motorcycles, ham radio, shooting pool, fishing, spear fishing, water skiing, surfing, hunting, golf, bicycling, weight lifting, sailing, chasing girls, drinking and partying, reading, tennis, gambling, and probably a few others I can't even remember. And when all else fails, I can always find something to do around the house, such as cleaning, fixing, repairing, moping, mowing, mulching, trimming shrubs, weeding, washing clothes, etc.

Pick one. :rofl:

10. Video games, lots of video games, particularly ones made by Valve (pick any, they're all good), I also spend quite a bit of my time watching tv shows. For example, I've spent my free time in the past 3 weeks watching the last 7 seasons of Top Gear. I also read quite a bit, but haven't for the past couple months, I read more in the summer than during school.

11. Bloody enjoy it while you can.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  12. :yuck:

13. Pfft, I suppose yours are better than mine.:rolleyes:

14. Well I study physics in my free time and ponder an endless amount of questions and educate myself about anything that I hear and where I want to have an opinion but do not have the knowledge required to have a reasonable, logical and internally sound one.

So, I basically sharpen my critical thinking and skepticism skill and educate myself on just about anything remotely interesting. That encompasses reading a lot of books and websites.

Beware, however, as if you push it to an extreme and make it your creed to attack any illogical/irrational statement or idea, people will rapidly dislike you. Apparently, babbling and spouting nonsense is a lesser sin than correcting it. I personally love being corrected (and by that I mean actually corrected, with evidence and stuff) on facts where I'm wrong - it means I was wrong one more time before I will probably be right for so much more times to come!

Rest of the time when I'm not working I'm probably playing some videogame (currently, Chrono Trigger on my DSi) or watching some comedy stuff (like sitcoms) on DVD. I intensely dislike television in general - if I watch TV it's usually infomercials because I'm always baffled how they actually success in selling anything, it's like a lecture on human nature.

15. Well I study physics in my free time and ponder an endless amount of questions and educate myself about anything that I hear and where I want to have an opinion but do not have the knowledge required to have a reasonable, logical and internally sound one.

So, I basically sharpen my critical thinking and skepticism skill and educate myself on just about anything remotely interesting. That encompasses reading a lot of books and websites.

Beware, however, as if you push it to an extreme and make it your creed to attack any illogical/irrational statement or idea, people will rapidly dislike you. Apparently, babbling and spouting nonsense is a lesser sin than correcting it. I personally love being corrected (and by that I mean actually corrected, with evidence and stuff) on facts where I'm wrong - it means I was wrong one more time before I will probably be right for so much more times to come!

Rest of the time when I'm not working I'm probably playing some videogame (currently, Chrono Trigger on my DSi) or watching some comedy stuff (like sitcoms) on DVD. I intensely dislike television in general - if I watch TV it's usually infomercials because I'm always baffled how they actually success in selling anything, it's like a lecture on human nature.

16. Watch Anime...

Now everyone thinks I am nerd

17. Too much of a good thing, man.

:tongue: I think most of us here are nerds. At the very least, we have potential :biggrin:

What do you do for a LIVING?

18. Pilot.

19. I don't have that much free time, but when I do I like to read (often about physics) or watch movies. Hanging out with friends and doing sports are also things I do, but I don't really consider I'm doing that in my free time because they are really part of my routine.

20. BobG

BobG 2,340
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, on Easter, I spent my free time exploring the relationship between rotational kinetic energy and angular momentum with my 18-month-old grandson.

[tex]KE_{rot}=\frac{1}{2}I \omega^2[/tex]

[tex]H=I \omega[/tex]

In other words, we spent the afternoon spinning all of his plastic Easter eggs (they stand up on their own as they naturally find a balance between rotational kinetic energy and angular momentum).

21. drizzle

drizzle 535
    Gold Member

I'll probably be counting till 1,048,575 with my fingers and toes...:biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?