What do you do with your free time?

• Thread starter chaoseverlasting
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary: I primarily read books on philosophy, mathematics, and science. Occasionally, I'll read fiction, but I'm not a huge fan. I also like to learn new things, so I watch a lot of documentaries and learn new languages. I'm currently learning Japanese.Pick one. I primarily read books on philosophy, mathematics, and science. Occasionally, I'll read fiction, but I'm not a huge fan. I also like to learn new things, so I watch a lot of documentaries and learn new languages. I'm currently learning Japanese.
chaoseverlasting
What do guys do when you have nothing else to do? I've had a lot of free time of late. Due to the unique way things have shaped up for me, I'm bored!

I have so much free time on my hands that all I do all day long is play the guitar, sleep, watch movies and if I feel like it, go for a jog. I don't even need to go to college anymore except for my final year's project presentation.

What do you guys do to kill time? This is a new feeling for me, I've never really had a lot of guilt-free free time before :p !

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't know what to say to help.

If only there was a forum somewhere online you could go and perhaps help out. I'm sure there are homework sections that could really do with the support...

If you're really lucky, it'll have a load of other great sub-forums which you could browse and contribute to (might even get into a discussion or two).

chaoseverlasting said:
I've had a lot of free time of late.

This is actually my goal in life...to have lots of free time.

I say, learn to enjoy your time off. Be creative. Think about, and DO the things that you want to do. Because once you get a job, buy a house, join the Navy, have a family, etc., you'll never have any free time, ever again. Ever.

JaredJames said:
If only there was a forum somewhere online you could go and perhaps help out. I'm sure there are homework sections that could really do with the support...

If you're really lucky, it'll have a load of other great sub-forums which you could browse and contribute to (might even get into a discussion or two).

:biggrin:
I second this. Either that or try to learn a really challenging guitar piece, play video games, etc. I'm not sure, I've never had trouble with too much free time.

Listen to Noam Chomsky. http://www.atvtech.net/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif

For example:

Last edited by a moderator:
JaredJames said:
Don't know what to say to help.

I've been doing that since I wrote that post. This is only going to last for so long :tongue:. What do YOU guys do?

chaoseverlasting said:
What do YOU guys do?

Did my first post not let you in on that?

Aside from this, I play games and get on with various tasks that must be performed around the flat.

Well, let's see. Over the years, I've dabbled in the following hobbies. Photography, woodworking, shooting, reloading, racing cars, rallying, autocross, motorcycles, ham radio, shooting pool, fishing, spear fishing, water skiing, surfing, hunting, golf, bicycling, weight lifting, sailing, chasing girls, drinking and partying, reading, tennis, gambling, and probably a few others I can't even remember. And when all else fails, I can always find something to do around the house, such as cleaning, fixing, repairing, moping, mowing, mulching, trimming shrubs, weeding, washing clothes, etc.

Pick one. :rofl:

chaoseverlasting said:
What do YOU guys do?

Video games, lots of video games, particularly ones made by Valve (pick any, they're all good), I also spend quite a bit of my time watching tv shows. For example, I've spent my free time in the past 3 weeks watching the last 7 seasons of Top Gear. I also read quite a bit, but haven't for the past couple months, I read more in the summer than during school.

Bloody enjoy it while you can.

Last edited:
KrisOhn said:
Video games, lots of video games, particularly ones made by Valve (pick any, they're all good), I also spend quite a bit of my time watching tv shows. For example, I've spent my free time in the past 3 weeks watching the last 7 seasons of Top Gear. I also read quite a bit, but haven't for the past couple months, I read more in the summer than during school.

:yuck:

pergradus said:
:yuck:

Pfft, I suppose yours are better than mine.:rolleyes:

Well I study physics in my free time and ponder an endless amount of questions and educate myself about anything that I hear and where I want to have an opinion but do not have the knowledge required to have a reasonable, logical and internally sound one.

So, I basically sharpen my critical thinking and skepticism skill and educate myself on just about anything remotely interesting. That encompasses reading a lot of books and websites.

Beware, however, as if you push it to an extreme and make it your creed to attack any illogical/irrational statement or idea, people will rapidly dislike you. Apparently, babbling and spouting nonsense is a lesser sin than correcting it. I personally love being corrected (and by that I mean actually corrected, with evidence and stuff) on facts where I'm wrong - it means I was wrong one more time before I will probably be right for so much more times to come!

Rest of the time when I'm not working I'm probably playing some videogame (currently, Chrono Trigger on my DSi) or watching some comedy stuff (like sitcoms) on DVD. I intensely dislike television in general - if I watch TV it's usually infomercials because I'm always baffled how they actually success in selling anything, it's like a lecture on human nature.

Well I study physics in my free time and ponder an endless amount of questions and educate myself about anything that I hear and where I want to have an opinion but do not have the knowledge required to have a reasonable, logical and internally sound one.

So, I basically sharpen my critical thinking and skepticism skill and educate myself on just about anything remotely interesting. That encompasses reading a lot of books and websites.

Beware, however, as if you push it to an extreme and make it your creed to attack any illogical/irrational statement or idea, people will rapidly dislike you. Apparently, babbling and spouting nonsense is a lesser sin than correcting it. I personally love being corrected (and by that I mean actually corrected, with evidence and stuff) on facts where I'm wrong - it means I was wrong one more time before I will probably be right for so much more times to come!

Rest of the time when I'm not working I'm probably playing some videogame (currently, Chrono Trigger on my DSi) or watching some comedy stuff (like sitcoms) on DVD. I intensely dislike television in general - if I watch TV it's usually infomercials because I'm always baffled how they actually success in selling anything, it's like a lecture on human nature.

Watch Anime...

Now everyone thinks I am nerd

xxChrisxx said:
Bloody enjoy it while you can.

Too much of a good thing, man.

flyingpig said:
Watch Anime...

Now everyone thinks I am nerd

:tongue: I think most of us here are nerds. At the very least, we have potential :biggrin:

Triple_D said:
Well, let's see. Over the years, I've dabbled in the following hobbies. Photography, woodworking, shooting, reloading, racing cars, rallying, autocross, motorcycles, ham radio, shooting pool, fishing, spear fishing, water skiing, surfing, hunting, golf, bicycling, weight lifting, sailing, chasing girls, drinking and partying, reading, tennis, gambling, and probably a few others I can't even remember. And when all else fails, I can always find something to do around the house, such as cleaning, fixing, repairing, moping, mowing, mulching, trimming shrubs, weeding, washing clothes, etc.

Pick one. :rofl:
What do you do for a LIVING?

chaoseverlasting said:
What do you do for a LIVING?

Pilot.

I don't have that much free time, but when I do I like to read (often about physics) or watch movies. Hanging out with friends and doing sports are also things I do, but I don't really consider I'm doing that in my free time because they are really part of my routine.

Well, on Easter, I spent my free time exploring the relationship between rotational kinetic energy and angular momentum with my 18-month-old grandson.

[tex]KE_{rot}=\frac{1}{2}I \omega^2[/tex]

[tex]H=I \omega[/tex]

In other words, we spent the afternoon spinning all of his plastic Easter eggs (they stand up on their own as they naturally find a balance between rotational kinetic energy and angular momentum).

I'll probably be counting till 1,048,575 with my fingers and toes...:biggrin:

chaoseverlasting said:
I've had a lot of free time of late. Due to the unique way things have shaped up for me, I'm bored!

I have so much free time on my hands
You could do my chores.

I mix music (DJ) in my spare time. On my turntables, or recently, with Ableton Live on my PC. I can get lost for hours at a time, it's great fun and a fine excuse to continually dig through all my old records!

I enjoy riding my bike too. Off-road. Downhill preferably, and FAST! :)

At the moment I read and post on PF with what little free time I currently possess.

What is this "free time" you people speak of? :confused:

I read a metric f-ton of novels. Around one a week during the school year and four a week during the summer. Over the Christmas break all my exams were done early and I had almost a full four weeks off. I was pounding through a novel a day on my kindle.

Other than that I watch hockey (prerequisite for being Canadian) and pretend to know what I'm doing while playing with electronics.

Friday nights are when I go out and let off some steam, whether I want to or not.

Work on my main project: seeking to invent optimum contraption using all the junk in my cellar and nothing else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do any monkeys need spanking?

That should kill an hour a day.

jhae2.718 said:
What is this "free time" you people speak of? :confused:
Yeah, time is pricey.

I learn new skills such as magic, programming, solving puzzles, poems, learning new languages, reading some popular books etc. They are both enjoyable and useful. You kill your time but at the same time earn something that will last forever.

I also do small and big science projects and experiments.

1. What do you enjoy doing in your free time?

In my free time, I enjoy hiking, reading, and spending time with my family and friends. I also enjoy trying out new recipes and cooking different types of cuisines.

2. Do you have any hobbies or interests outside of your work?

Yes, I have several hobbies and interests outside of my work as a scientist. I love photography and often go on nature walks to capture beautiful landscapes. I also enjoy playing musical instruments and learning new languages.

3. How do you balance your work and personal life?

Balancing work and personal life can be challenging, but I make sure to prioritize my time and set boundaries. I try to have a healthy work-life balance by taking breaks when needed and making time for activities that bring me joy and relaxation.

4. Are there any skills or knowledge that you have gained from your hobbies that have helped you in your career?

Absolutely! My hobbies have taught me valuable skills such as time management, problem-solving, and creativity, which have all been beneficial in my career as a scientist. For example, my love for photography has helped me develop a keen eye for detail and observation, which is crucial in my research work.

5. How do you stay motivated and continue learning outside of work?

I stay motivated by setting personal goals and constantly challenging myself to learn new things. I also attend workshops, conferences, and online courses related to my field of work to continue learning and staying updated with the latest developments in science.