What do you think about sterotyping

• Thread starter kirk101
  • Start date
Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
why do they laugh, though?

I laugh at the "cable guy", too.
You mean "Larry the..." or the movie? I think one of them is funny. But this guy, the other teacher, is seriously funny. The only way you can get away with it. He is Filipino himself, and he includes self-deprecation in his comedic repertoire.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Stereotyping is just a recognition of patterns. The patterns perceived may or may not be false. I don't see what is wrong with the idea that certain superficial characteristics may indicate that a person may also possess other characteristics that are commonly associated. The only one I can think of that is not likely to be controversial of me to discuss is druggies. I have met and even been friends with many. Just about every single one of them were liars and theives. And that isn't just my experience of them either. Is it wrong of me to not trust druggies and want to avoid them?
"other characteristics that are commonly associated"

Aye, there's the rub. The trouble is in determining which associations are relevant and which ones are not.

All we have to do is look at racial sterotypes and we can see where the trouble lies.

In the end, it almost always comes down to the conclusion that stereotypes tend to be far more destructive than constructive. You're better to skip the stereotypes and look at the facts rather than the assumptions.

For example, in your case, if by "druggies" you mean people who are actually breaking the law with their habits, then it is a fact that they are willing to commit crimes - and they can be judged on that.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
You mean "Larry the..." or the movie? I think one of them is funny. But this guy, the other teacher, is seriously funny. The only way you can get away with it. He is Filipino himself, and he includes self-deprecation in his comedic repertoire.
For the record, racial stereotyping is racial stereotyping regardless of the race of the person doing it.

Much comedy is pretty edgy, and stereotyping has always been a generally accepted part of that, no question.

ya well there is a line between comedy and raciest

ya well there is a line between comedy and raciest
Is that whether or not you know how to deliver the joke?

"other characteristics that are commonly associated"

Aye, there's the rub. The trouble is in determining which associations are relevant and which ones are not.

All we have to do is look at racial sterotypes and we can see where the trouble lies.

In the end, it almost always comes down to the conclusion that stereotypes tend to be far more destructive than constructive. You're better to skip the stereotypes and look at the facts rather than the assumptions.

For example, in your case, if by "druggies" you mean people who are actually breaking the law with their habits, then it is a fact that they are willing to commit crimes - and they can be judged on that.
Perhaps we can take it a bit further then. The druggie scenario is a bit simplistic.
I'm a security guard. I have been dealing with all sorts of people as an "authority figure" for about five years now. I have found that there are definite trends in reaction to authority in different cultures. I'm not saying that any one in particular are more troublesome than others but that the ways in which they react are fairly consistent along cultural lines. Other factors seem to influence this too. I have worked with people of different cultural backgrounds than myself and people would react differently to them than to me. The point of this is that realizing these differences can help me in doing my job. Knowing how to approach people in the most effective manner is important and if they react differently to me then I need to approach them differently.

So that people don't think too terribly of me for this I must say that most people regardless are rather nice and cooperative and I always approach everyone the same way to begin with. It's only when I am dealing with someone who is becoming a problem that I change my treatment of them. I always try to keep it equitable though.

Last edited: