1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What do you think of the rest of my schedule?

1. Nov 4, 2009 #1
    I'm currently taking Differential Equations, a senior-level American Revolution course, and an Intermediate Macroeconomics course. I'm also working half-time. I'm not doing as well as I would like in DE - essentially a "B-" on the first exam. I just had an exam yesterday, and I think I did a little better, though. We'll see. Knowing what's ahead, what do you guys think? Will working half-time make adversely affect my performance? I know they're tough upper-level courses. Starting this year, I hadn't worked and gone to school concurrently since like 2005, and those were all lower-level courses. I'm just a bit concerned my grades will suffer slightly as I progress on.

Also, I need a 4000-level math elective to complete my minor. As of right now, I have zero research experience, but I think I would like to have that as a career (at whatever level of degree I possess). For this reason, I chose the Electronic Devices and their Applications course over a Modern Optics and Lab course.

http://www.uh.edu/academics/catalog/colleges/nsm/courses/math/index.php [Broken]

http://www.uh.edu/academics/catalog/colleges/nsm/courses/phys/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2009 #2
    No one?

4. Nov 6, 2009 #3
    I think at most schools you end up taking two physics classes, a lab and a math class every semester--there's just no avoiding it if you want to have all the prereqs for the next semester (e.g. quantum mechanics requires PDEs,blinear algebra and mechanics, E&M requires ODEs, etc.). It's not a breeze, but it's doable! The only think I'd recommend is to be extra careful with mechanics--it's a difficult class, and you've probably never taken anything as demanding before (I'm assuming you're a freshman/sophomore right now). If you can do fine in that class (and I'm sure you will), then you'll know exactly how much time to budget for E&M and solid state physics, and whether you can afford to work 25 hours a week or not (which I think is doable if you're not taking anything other than those classes).

As for the labs, where I go to school they are not that time-consuming. I don't know about UH.

5. Nov 6, 2009 #4
    Hey, Rob/Bob,

Well, all my prerequisites are in order, so I'm good to go there. For me, the two Modern Physics courses require Diff. Eq., Mechanics requires Diff. Eq., and E&M requires PDEs. So the math prerequisite courses are a little different for me.

And, yeah, the classes in my schedule are the only classes I'm taking. I'm just a little ways into my junior year. I intentionally took all the non-science cores/electives before I got into the heavy stuff.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  6. Nov 8, 2009 #5
    232 views! lol.

7. Nov 11, 2009 #6
  8. Nov 12, 2009 #7
    I think the rest of your schedule is missing a quantum mechanics course. I see your modern physics covers some of that but it doesn't seem to be the usual I'm used to. Maybe its good and proper, I don't know. I probably shouldn't base it on the course description.

9. Nov 12, 2009 #8
    Well, it would seem Modern Physics I and II are my undergrad QM and Relativity courses. There's an Introduction to Particle Physics, but I can't fit it in my schedule.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook