Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What do you use wolfram mathamatica for?

1. Oct 30, 2013 #1
    I am currently downloading mathamatica. It sounds amazing! I was wondering hat each of you used it for or your thoughts on it?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2013 #2
    It's great for checking your answers, it lets you type in latex and it gives like 3 or 4 different ways you can answer a question.

4. Oct 30, 2013 #3

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

I use the student version primarily for coordinate or frame based tensor computations, contour plots and 3D plots, and (most importantly!) integrals.

5. Oct 30, 2013 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I didn't know it did audio processing as well as math. You learn something new on PF every day :biggrin:

6. Oct 30, 2013 #5

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since when does it let you type in Latex? I know it can export Latex, but I don't trust it to do that.

I use Mathematica extensively in my research. Most commonly for guessing the solutions to PDEs. I still do a lot by hand, though, such as finding Ricci tensors.

7. Oct 30, 2013 #6
    Actually I believe you can do audio and image processing in Mathematica, or at least you could write code to do so, just as you can in Matlab.

8. Oct 30, 2013 #7

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For what do I use Mathematica? Nothing. My employer has a site license for full Maple, which includes my personal laptop, so I use Maple.

9. Oct 30, 2013 #8

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You could tell us what you use Maple for...

We have a site license for Mathematica 8, so I've installed it for free. :)

10. Oct 30, 2013 #9
  11. Oct 30, 2013 #10
    I have no license at all... :shy:

Isn't there an open-source alternative to Mathematica - a program that will do symbolic math instead of just numerical?

12. Oct 31, 2013 #11
    sage

13. Oct 31, 2013 #12
    Do you use it? How well does it work if so?

14. Oct 31, 2013 #13
    I use Mathematica and have never used it, I just googled Mathematica open-source alternatives and that came up. This might help....http://www.calvin.edu/~rpruim/talks/Sage/2010-05-08-MAA/sagetalk.pdf
    It seems the only open source app that comes close to Mathematica or Maple but even so they are in a different league- Going solely on reviews...

15. Oct 31, 2013 #14

drizzle

Gold Member

16. Oct 31, 2013 #15
    I've used Mathematica extensively for about 15 years working on a wide variety of problems. Currently I use it to study contour integration over multi-valued functions. For example, what does it look like to integrate over the inverse of a 12-degree polynomial? Well, one example is

[tex]\mathop\oint\limits_{\text{black}} \text{red}\; dz[/tex]

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=63483&d=1383222421

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  17. Oct 31, 2013 #16
    whats that jackmell?

18. Oct 31, 2013 #17
    Link is not showing jack. Atleast, I'm not seeing it!

19. Oct 31, 2013 #18
    Jack you can't delete the attachment after you use the link...It has to stay attached.
    attachment.gif

Attached Files:

• AV2.gif
      AV2.gif
      File size:
      38 KB
      Views:
  20. Oct 31, 2013 #19
    Axiom
    Maxima
    Reduce
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_algebra_system

Learning how to become really good and productive with any computer algebra system takes a very large investment of time so choose carefully. It is probably best to use what those around you, or those who you hope to be around, use and which you can get books to help you get started.

21. Oct 31, 2013 #20

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook