Wolfram alpha -- worth it for a beginner to get a wolfram alpha pro acct?

In summary, the conversation discusses the benefits of getting a Wolfram Alpha Pro account for a beginner who is interested in learning math. The speaker suggests that getting the extended features may be too much for someone at a grade 12 level, but it could also help make connections and improve understanding. They also mention alternative free tools and resources for learning math.
julianwitkowski
Is it worth it for a beginner to get a wolfram alpha pro acct?

I'm interested in learning math and I find the free tools great.

I'm curious as to how people that know how to do math think of wolfram. Do you think having the extended features would be too much for someone at a gr 12 u level? ... Or do you think that looking at this stuff will help me make connections I might not otherwise?

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't know how much bang for the buck you'll get but I think you'd be better spending your money on an interesting math book.

As far as tools go, there's freemat, octave and pyzo that will allow you explore numerical math. They don't teach but they allow you to write a program to numerically integrate equations and to display the results in a variety of formats.

The mathispower4u website have many videos some for first year college math
that you might like to peruse. (see http://www.mathispower4u.yolasite.com)

Last edited:
Likes julianwitkowski
julianwitkowski said:
Is it worth it for a beginner to get a wolfram alpha pro acct?

I'm interested in learning math and I find the free tools great.

I'm curious as to how people that know how to do math think of wolfram. Do you think having the extended features would be too much for someone at a gr 12 u level? ... Or do you think that looking at this stuff will help me make connections I might not otherwise?

Thanks!

Not sure about the version but I remember when I was doing my undergrad I was using Mathematicas student version which was very cheap compared to the pro version. We actually used Maple in Uni but I strongly recommend getting this softwares as you can learn from them and use them for anything even research. These tools are great to check your answers for home work as well as projects. The Mathematica and Maple have full documentations build in them as you don't need any extra books to learn using them. If you planning to do Science or Engineering in the future I strongly recommend these softwares and they also fun to use.

Likes julianwitkowski
Thanks I'll check those tools. Thanks for your reply.

I believe that Wolfram Alpha is a valuable tool for beginners and experienced mathematicians alike. The free version offers a wide range of features that can be useful for learning and exploring math concepts. However, the extended features offered in the pro account can be beneficial for those who are serious about their mathematical studies and want to delve deeper into complex calculations and data analysis.

For someone at a grade 12 level, the pro account may offer more advanced features that may not be necessary for their current level of understanding. However, I do believe that exploring and experimenting with these features can help make connections and deepen one's understanding of math concepts.

Ultimately, the decision to invest in a pro account should be based on your personal goals and level of interest in mathematics. If you are enthusiastic about learning and want to expand your knowledge, then the pro account may be worth it for you. Otherwise, the free version of Wolfram Alpha is still a valuable resource for beginners.

1. What is Wolfram Alpha Pro?

Wolfram Alpha Pro is a computational knowledge engine that uses a vast collection of algorithms and data to answer factual questions and perform complex calculations.

2. How is it different from the regular version of Wolfram Alpha?

Wolfram Alpha Pro offers additional features such as step-by-step solutions, interactive graphs and plots, customizable visualizations, and the ability to upload and analyze your own data.

3. Is Wolfram Alpha Pro worth the cost for a beginner?

It depends on your specific needs and usage. If you are a student or a professional who frequently needs to perform complex calculations or analyze data, Wolfram Alpha Pro can be a valuable tool. However, if you only need basic information or occasional calculations, the free version of Wolfram Alpha may suffice.

4. Can I cancel my Wolfram Alpha Pro subscription at any time?

Yes, you can cancel your subscription at any time through your account settings. However, keep in mind that you will lose access to the additional features and data sets provided by Wolfram Alpha Pro after your subscription ends.

5. How can I learn to use Wolfram Alpha Pro?

Wolfram Alpha Pro has a user-friendly interface and offers tutorials and help articles to assist with using its features. Additionally, there are many online resources and communities dedicated to teaching and sharing tips for using Wolfram Alpha Pro effectively.