Programs like Wolfram but offline

• B
  • Thread starter MAGNIBORO
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Programs
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for an offline program similar to Wolfram Alpha for various mathematical functions. Some recommendations include Sage, Pari-GP, and Maple. Mathematica is also mentioned as it is the same company as Wolfram Alpha and works offline. Additionally, Geogebra is suggested as a useful math program.
MAGNIBORO
Hello and sorry for the bad english.
I 'm looking for a program like wolfram alpha but offline, currently I use a program called "derive 6". It is good but it stopped updating for quite So I would like to tell me some similar program to wolfram alpha but not need connection to intenet, and that updtate or at least not very old like derive.

thanks =D

Mathematics news on Phys.org
MAGNIBORO said:
Hello and sorry for the bad english.
I 'm looking for a program like wolfram alpha but offline, currently I use a program called "derive 6". It is good but it stopped updating for quite So I would like to tell me some similar program to wolfram alpha but not need connection to intenet, and that updtate or at least not very old like derive.

thanks =D

Use Sage, it successfully incorporates many other software packages. It's the best thing out there.

MAGNIBORO said:
I 'm looking for a program like wolfram alpha but offline,

I can't make a specific recommendation, but I suggest you search on keywords "computer algebra system" (CAS). (e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_computer_algebra_systems ). Some CAS programs are available as free software.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Thank to all, I'll take a look at the programs and maybe I had to be a little more specific,
usually what I need is :
integration (indefinite or definite)
derivation
algebraic simplification
calculating sums ∑ and products ∏
limits
taylor expancion
gamma function
riemann zeta function
(step by step soluction)
I think that is all.

thank you very much :biggrin:

Last edited:
Dr. Courtney said:
It depends on the features you really need. None will have them all.

The same company that makes WA also sells Mathematica, which works offline.

Also see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_computer_algebra_systems

To be more precise, Alpha is a web based front end for the Mathematica kernel.

Likes Dr. Courtney
You can try Pari-GP.
It has some if not all the functions you mentioned and can do arbitrary precision arithmetic ( no limit on the number of digits or precision).
It is a free program.

Mathematica IS Wolfram Alpha (and free), so that is definitely worth downloading. A different kind of math program but incredibly useful is Geogebra (also free).

Thanks to all who contributed.
maple has almost all the things I neeed also it has a converter to LaTex which facilitates post here, mathematica is great but it requires internet connection.
so when I do not have internet and I can not use wolfram, i use maple.

1. How does an offline program like Wolfram work?

An offline program like Wolfram uses mathematical algorithms and a large database of information to provide answers to queries. It also utilizes natural language processing to understand and interpret user input.

2. Can an offline program like Wolfram perform complex calculations and solve equations?

Yes, an offline program like Wolfram is designed to handle complex calculations and can solve equations using its extensive mathematical knowledge and computation capabilities.

3. Are there any limitations to using an offline program like Wolfram?

One limitation of using an offline program like Wolfram is that it may not have access to the most up-to-date information or data sets. It also may not have the ability to access the internet for additional resources.

4. Is an offline program like Wolfram available for all operating systems?

Yes, there are versions of Wolfram and other similar programs available for various operating systems, including Windows, Mac, and Linux.

5. Can I use an offline program like Wolfram for educational purposes?

Yes, many offline programs like Wolfram have educational versions or features that are specifically designed for students and educators. These programs can be used to learn and explore various mathematical and scientific concepts.