What Does ##ad-bc=0## Imply About Solutions to ##AX=0##?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Bashyboy
Messages
1,419
Reaction score
5

Homework Statement


Consider the system ##AX=0##, where
$$A = \begin{bmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \\ \end{bmatrix}$$
is a 2x2 matrix over the field F. Prove that if ##ad-bc=0## and some entry of ##A## is different from ##0##, then there is a solution ##(p,q)## such that ##(x,y)## is a solution if and only if there is some scalar ##t## such that ##x=pt## and ##y = qt##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


Am I asked to find the vector ##(p,q)## for which the statement "##(x,y)## is a solution if and only if there is some scalar ##t## such that ##x=pt## and ##y = qt##" holds, or am I assuming that I have such a solution ##(p,q)## and proving that this statement?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:
Am I asked to find the vector ##(p,q)## for which the statement "##(x,y)## is a solution if and only if there is some scalar ##t## such that ##x=pt## and ##y = qt##" holds, or am I assuming that I have such a solution ##(p,q)## and proving that this statement?

Well, the problem doesn't ask you to find [itex](p,q)[/itex], only to show that if [itex](p,q)[/itex] is a solution, and [itex](x,y)[/itex] is a second solution, then there is some [itex]t[/itex] such that [itex]x=pt[/itex] and [itex]y=qt[/itex].

For a 2x2 matrix, it's easy enough to convert [itex]\left( \begin{array}\\ a & b \\ c & d \end{array} \right) \left( \begin{array} \\ x \\ y \end{array} \right) = 0[/itex] into two ordinary (non-matrix) equations for [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] to see how the possible values of [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] must be related.