What does it mean for energy absorbed and released for atom?

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of electron excitation and electron affinity. It was mentioned that in electron excitation, the photon's energy is absorbed by the electron, causing it to reach an excited state. The electron then releases this energy as it falls back down to a lower energy state, resulting in the emission of a photon. In terms of electron affinity, it was explained that for atoms that want electrons, energy is released in the form of work (heat) when an electron is added, while for atoms that do not want electrons, energy must be forced into the system. The conversation also touched on the importance of considering energy conservation and other factors such as angular momenta and spins. Overall, the main takeaway is that energy is
shangriphysics
I was wondering, in the context of electron excitation and electron affinity, what it meant when we say that the electron absorbed energy or released energy.

I think for electron excitation, the photon's energy, which is in the form of work= force time distance from the photon particle is absorbed to the electron. Then as the electron falls back down, for some odd reason of the universe, it releases another photon with the same work.

For electron affinity, I believe that putting an electron in the atom for an atom that wants electrons will release energy in the form of work(heat), whereas an atom that does not want electrons, we have to force the atom to absorb the electron's work.

Thanks PhysicsForums!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really understand what your question was meant to be.
When the atom is hit by photons, one possibility is that the electron will absorb a photon (and so all the photon's energy) and get to an excited energy state. Then the electron will prefer to drop its energy to reach a less-energetic and more stable state. The difference to its energy transitions will be an emitted photon.
I don't understand why would you put "force *distance" in the game, since it's a very bad thing to do. It's better to look at it at steps with energy conservation (and maybe angular momenta and spins).
In the affinity case, you can work almost in the same way.
The energy is released with radiation (photons).

Likes shangriphysics
Thanks ChrisVer! This clarified my confusion.

1. What is the difference between energy absorbed and energy released for an atom?

Energy absorbed refers to the amount of energy that an atom takes in or gains, while energy released refers to the amount of energy that an atom gives off or loses. In other words, energy absorbed is when an atom's energy level increases, and energy released is when an atom's energy level decreases.

2. How does an atom absorb energy?

An atom can absorb energy through various processes such as absorption of light or heat, collisions with other atoms or particles, or through chemical reactions. When an atom absorbs energy, its electrons become excited and move to higher energy levels.

3. What happens when an atom releases energy?

When an atom releases energy, its excited electrons return to their original energy levels, causing the atom to emit energy in the form of light or heat. This process is known as emission or radiation.

4. How is energy absorbed and released related to chemical reactions?

In a chemical reaction, energy is either absorbed or released as bonds between atoms are broken or formed. For example, in an exothermic reaction, energy is released as heat, while in an endothermic reaction, energy is absorbed from the surroundings.

5. Can an atom absorb and release the same amount of energy?

No, an atom cannot absorb and release the same amount of energy. The amount of energy absorbed and released by an atom depends on the energy level of its electrons and the type of process (e.g. chemical reaction, absorption of light) involved. The energy absorbed and released are typically not equal in magnitude.